News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Handguard Refinishing?

Started by 98TIGA, June 27, 2019, 08:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98TIGA

I purchased some hand guards that are a bit worse for the wear; used various grits of sandpaper to get rid of the scuffs and scratches but that's left them a dull matte. Anyone have any tips on polishing them to a high lustre? Homemade concoctions, commercial products, and other tips and trips would be very much appreciated!
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

bowyer2002

I'm going to paint mine with a gloss black to look better than the current scuffed condition.
I have heard people use a heat gun with some success. I don't know how to practice that though!

98TIGA

Man, you're quick!

That was my initial plan too, but my compressors on the fritz, and I was hoping to get them installed ASAP. I've heard everything from baking soda to toothpaste (which I've used with some success on tobacco pipe stem restorations). I was thinking polishing compound and a low-speed buffer..?

Geoff W

You could try buffing with silver polish. I used to use it for polishing perspex contact lenses back in the old days.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

98TIGA

Great idea! I'll try various products and methods and will report back to you guys with before/after photos.

98TIGA

After trying increasingly finer grit sandpaper, silver polish, rubbing compound, and a heat gun with unsatisfactory results, I finally opted to paint the handguards. I used truck bed liner as a base coat due to its hardness and durability and finished with a black/gray speckle paint in an aerosol can. Overall, I'm fairly happy with the results. If nothing else, they should resist scratches somewhat and will be easy to refinish should the need ever arise.

Geoff W

Very nice job. If i did that to my  handguards It would show up the rest of the bike, which apart from resprayed engine covers is full of dings and scratches.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.