News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 955i running lumpy under 40mph

Started by Tony, July 03, 2019, 01:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Hi, I bought a 04 955i tiger with 40k on the clock 2 weeks ago,  I love the bike runs sweet and plenty of power, the only minor issue is I found running around town, under 40mph speed limits the bike seems to run a little lumpy and partially  misfires.  Any speed over 40, 50,60,70 the bike runs with no issues,
I have heard a load of stuff about fuel "eating" all the internal parts damaging the fuel tank etc, etc.  If this is the case then the problem would have came up years ago and not surfaced 15 years later :).

I had a few saying get a throttle rebalance, and told the bike may have a stock fuel map that causes it to run lean and is a common problem on these bikes.  Get a fuel map.
I'm asking if any one has any suggestions/info on a rebalance and a remap if it will fix the problem and give me a smoother ride at lower speed.  Thanks

Chris Canning

There is War and Piece about all things fuelling on the 955 on here and the bottom line is you need to hit the search button trawl through lots.

As old as the bike is and certainly in the Bangor price complicated they can be add in the fact most dealers have no idea how to deal with them and buck really is going to stop at you.

Frankly it could be anything from re-installing a map to needing a new stepper motor and at 40,000 miles I changed the coils.

Tune ECU is what you need to make any inroads into sorting the bike you are not even able to alter the tickover without it.

Tiger-G

Hi  :icon_biggrin:

I agree with Chris above.....

I would get the throttle bodies balanced and get it on TuneECU. Put the Triumph off-road map on it, and see if that makes a difference. My 2006 was very lumpy round town with the OEM map on it, haven't looked back since I put the TOR map on it  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tony

Thanks for replies, I contacted my local triamph dealer, they can check and update the ECU for £40 depending as what you said any other problems, they also asked what can I had fitted, tbh I don't know it its stock or aftermarket, I'll have to have a closer look.  I don't mind paying 40 at least it's not £200+ to check and alter and still not fix it :)

Chris Canning

They asked you what Can because the answer you give affects what map they are going to blow in stock or off-road but I have to say if your first thought is 'Triumph dealer' you could be in for a bumpy ride these bikes are now DIY and if that isn't where you are at i'd Bail out ASAP because it could be paypaypay buy your own spare parts from World if Triumph the first coil I bought was 100 quid they are now £50.

Tony

Lol, funny enough they pretty much said the same thing, with out a full history. And me pretty much guessing from the paperwork the bike has been home maintained and some general garage servicing, there is no way to tell what's been done to it.  At least I can get a check out on the map and take it from there .

Chris Canning

I'm no techno man and at one time had Timbox of these realms on loud speaker talking to my mate next door who came round(who knew nothing about bikes or ECU's)with a new lap top as mine was too old that morphed into me buying a secondhand Android and a connector from that to the OBD-2 that I already had for the lap top the whole lot cost me £90 your 40 quid at the dealer will knock a hole in that.

Boasted off here thought he had a stock map in and it turned out he had the Off-road option took me seconds to find that out and i'm An absolute numpty at this kind of thing.

Tony

Got bike booked in for next sat, just had a look at the can and found its a race can and not for road use, I guess 1 problem sorted lol

Tiger-G

Ouch....40 earth pounds for a scan !! :bug_eye

You could have bought a TuneECU lead for that, done it yourself, and still have enough left for a dubious young lady of ill repute !! This has got expensive written all over it, lol, good luck mate  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

All you need then is an android tablet.

Tony

£40 isn't too expensive,. I had quotes just for a remap of £200 plus, and doesn't include a check over.  They have agreed for their tech to listen to the bike run and check it over,. They will then advise me if a update/mod map will work before I spend my 40.  Btw I'm not a mechanic, this type of modification is beyond my expertise.  I'd prefer to get it done properly than mess it up my self, I don't want to take the risk.

Lee337

Where are you in Lincolnshire?

I have an 06 Girly & have recently remapped the ECU using TuneEcu. I have both the Android and PC versions with cable. I'm in PE10 postcode so if you're not too far away, I'm happy to take a look for you.

For info, When I got mine last July, it ran lumpy around town, so I put the TOR map (with original CAN & OE air filter) & it seemed to run much better.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Tony

Hi Lee, I'm pe12 Spalding area, that would be great if you could check it.  I may need to put another can on it as it's not road legal :\

Lee337

We'll see what we can sort out.i work during the week until around 19.00 but weekends are usually free.

I'd be happy to help out where I can. I'm no mechanic but have a reasonably equipped garage.

Sent you a PM with my email address.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Lee337

Got your PM Tony & responded. Don't know why it didn't work the first time but just in case it didn't work again you can use the address below

[email address removed]

If you did get my PM, use the email on that, either should get to me.