News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My fabricated chain slider

Started by bowyer2002, July 15, 2019, 04:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowyer2002

Inmates -
I finally got around to fabricating a nylon slider for my Tiger - the OEM one is of a rubber compound and I wasn't too sure how long it would last. OEM sliders are $30USD and their longevity unknown.
I want to preface this; I may have created a solution to a non-existent problem! The $30 OEM slider is okay & not as worn as I thought it might be. I still think $30USD is steep!
Anyway, I fabricated the nylon slider and it WORKED! Although, I could hear a slight vibration noise from the chain running over the block (only when coasting with the clutch depressed), this might dissipate after a break in period (or a better design!)
I took it on a 15 mile test ride and the only wear is shown in the last two photos.
Regardless, I reinstalled the OEM slider and put MY fabricated slider on the shelf as a spare.
Thanks for looking!

98TIGA

Very cool! I knew it was just a matter of time before someone attempted to engineer one of those from home.

I'm curious though... how in heaven's name were you able to hear anything over that infernal racket of a valvetrain? :icon_scratch:
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

bowyer2002

Since I JUST completed my valve train 'overhaul' and they're all in spec - maybe my Tiger is quieter than most?

I need to round off the edge that the chain rubbed across and it think that would quiet down the subtle clattering of the links going over the 90* edge.
OR
I hear some have used a skateboard or roller blade wheel as the tensioner/guide - this would require some modification but not too difficult in my estimation.

Mustang

The triumph OEM pcs last for thousands of miles .
Jus saying

bowyer2002

@Mustang - I hope that is the case for most owners. My Tiger only had 10K in it and the lower slider rubber was totally gone.
Anyway, it was fun to build and know it works.

fishnbiker

I used a similar product to minimize damage to the underside of the swing arm. Been good for 7 years now ...
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Quote from: Mustang on July 19, 2019, 12:35:14 AM
The triumph OEM pcs last for thousands of miles .
Jus saying

Yeah, but they still wear out after those thousands. On my 5th or 7th now.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE