News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

English question (i.e., for the English)

Started by ridin gaijin, July 20, 2005, 08:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

What does "gurning" mean, and can you use it in a sentence for me? I have an idea it means something between "grinding" and "churning", with connotations of futility, but if someone could set me straight I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

abell

Gurning is competitive face-pulling.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-gur1.htm

Typically:

Competitors put their heads through a horse collar and have a set time in which to contort their faces into the scariest / silliest expression possible. False teeth may be left in, taken out or turned upside down if desired. The person who gets the most applause for their ugly face wins.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

greg

Abell has forgotten to mention that we all have to gurn at school. It's a part of the physical education programme but is not as popular a face jumping (Running spikes not allowed).
2004 Girly.

abell

That's one school ritual I missed - but then I went to school in Worcestershire and sheep sports were much more popular.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "abell"Gurning is competitive face-pulling.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-gur1.htm

Wow. 1266, eh?...and they say tradition is dead! Thanks guys
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "greg"Abell has forgotten to mention that we all have to gurn at school. It's a part of the physical education programme but is not as popular a face jumping (Running spikes not allowed).

Damn, Pink Floyd's "The Wall" video is starting to make more sense to me.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Jacqueslemac

Quote from: "abell"That's one school ritual I missed - but then I went to school in Worcestershire and sheep sports were much more popular.

Lucky thing. Here in Norfolk we had to make do with vegetables.

Stretch

No face-sitting at school?

Dammit.

TigerTrax

I 'gurned' this morning

Now I can ride with comfort and no startling episodes!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

blacktiger

Here's one I did earlier.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.