News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Removing top yoke

Started by Sidk, August 19, 2019, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

Good day everyone,

I have been trying to remove the top yoke of my steamer with no joy,
i've soaked in wd40, ive made sure the pinch bolts are loosened (took them out entirely)
smacked it with a mallet for a good 1/2 hour... But it isnt budging...

searching the forum, i find a post referring to a trick on how to remove the yoke, but the link goes to the login page.

can anyone shed some light on this...

the thread is this one http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12695.msg93551.html#msg93551
post number 18 refers to the trick.

Mustang

It's just referring that with everything unbolted the top yoke can be twisted enough to the left or right ( I forget)
To clear the anti theft tab on the frame
And the yoke will then come off with the ignition switch in place .
Then you can grab the shear bolts with whatever you want and unscrew them

Sidk

Quote from: Mustang on August 19, 2019, 01:09:00 PM
It's just referring that with everything unbolted the top yoke can be twisted enough to the left or right ( I forget)
To clear the anti theft tab on the frame
And the yoke will then come off with the ignition switch in place .
Then you can grab the shear bolts with whatever you want and unscrew them

Thanks for the clarification,

so if i get the above right, i should turn the handlbars either left or right to clear the tab and then try removing.
up to now i have had the yoke straight

Mustang

Fork tubes need to be pulled down out of the top yoke ..and if I recall correctly it has to have the handlebar removed from yoke because there isn't enough slack in cable/wires  to rotate yoke far enough

Sidk

ok...  finally got it off

unscrewed the clocks
Turned all the way to the right.
Took off handle bars
undid one of the ignition bolts (one was a sheared head safety bolt the other an allen head) once this was done the top yoke was able to come off due to the extra bit of wiggle room provided by undoing the one ignition bolt. the metalic tab on the head stock wouldnt allow for the yoke to come off.

i didnt have to drop the tubes
now with this new bit of knowledge maybe... just maybe i will tackle a headstock bearing change over the winter.. :^_^ :^_^

thanks for the help..