News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock removal 885i

Started by Argyll1, August 27, 2019, 08:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argyll1

Hi all,

Well I am part way into replacing my swing arm to the point were I just need to get the spacer/bush out of the bottom of the shock and all will be good, as it is resisting  my attempts to get it out I have soaked it in penetrating spray and will leave it 24 hours.
Anyone have any good ideas before I knock the hell out of it, I assume it will drift out right to left (looking at the back of the bike) being the shortest route?

I have now found an old post with an idea of making a puller, so my thanks to the author it may come in very handy  :notworthy

cheers

Rob

Chris Canning

Looks like you have covered all the angle be it drift or puller take some time in getting the size right i'd also think about a little heat as daft as it sounds a hair dryer on hot will help because when the pin starts to expand it will break the corrosion may even be worth trying that with some penetrating for a couple of days.

Tiger-G

Quote from: Argyll1 on August 27, 2019, 08:26:10 PM
Hi all,

Well I am part way into replacing my swing arm to the point were I just need to get the spacer/bush out of the bottom of the shock and all will be good, as it is resisting  my attempts to get it out I have soaked it in penetrating spray and will leave it 24 hours.
Anyone have any good ideas before I knock the hell out of it, I assume it will drift out right to left (looking at the back of the bike) being the shortest route?

I have now found an old post with an idea of making a puller, so my thanks to the author it may come in very handy  :notworthy

cheers

Rob

You're welcome   :icon_salut:

You really do need to make a simple puller, it's soooo difficult to get out otherwise.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Tiger-G on August 28, 2019, 01:22:10 PM
You're welcome   :icon_salut:

t's soooo difficult to get out otherwise.

Not if you maintain it correctly in the first place it ain't!!!

Argyll1

Well as it happens the overnight soak in penetrating oil did the trick and the spacer came out without a fight, back on the road this time tomorrow, thanks to all for the replies  :icon_biggrin:

Timbox2

Glad your sorted, on my last 955, it was swingarm off, heat and the biggest manchester spanner I could find before it would shift
2016 Tiger Sport