News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

STOCK SHOCK HATERS BEWARE!: Lowering the stock shock

Started by VABird, January 28, 2020, 11:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Since the majority of forces on the shock are in line with the centreline, and in compression, this isn't as risky as it sounds, although it will be more prone to failure than a Hagon if the bottom bush isn't kept lubricated due to the twisting action in it seizes.  Sadly, there are a lot of Tigers out there where this vital maintenance is neglected.

Having said that, the only thing I would have done different would have been, instead of the epoxy locking the alignment for welding (a crackingly good idea btw) I'd have removed a little metal at a time, reassembling each time, until the two halves locked together on the tread when aligned.  That way the force is transmitted directly from the part to the shaft without trying to compress the weld and the epoxy.  A sort of belt and braces approach if you like, but in this fashion all the weld is really trying to do is stop the shock rotating.

Good luck with it,  I hope it keeps on holding together  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

VABird

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 15, 2020, 07:07:12 PM
Since the majority of forces on the shock are in line with the centreline, and in compression, this isn't as risky as it sounds, although it will be more prone to failure than a Hagon if the bottom bush isn't kept lubricated due to the twisting action in it seizes.  Sadly, there are a lot of Tigers out there where this vital maintenance is neglected.

Having said that, the only thing I would have done different would have been, instead of the epoxy locking the alignment for welding (a crackingly good idea btw) I'd have removed a little metal at a time, reassembling each time, until the two halves locked together on the tread when aligned.  That way the force is transmitted directly from the part to the shaft without trying to compress the weld and the epoxy.  A sort of belt and braces approach if you like, but in this fashion all the weld is really trying to do is stop the shock rotating.

Good luck with it,  I hope it keeps on holding together  :thumbsup

That's why the Grease fitting was installed, so that is far easier.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,16901.0.html

The two halves did fit perfectly when the threaded sections were bottomed out together. The epoxy simply locked the halves together. Somewhere in the procedure, I did state how lucky I got on the initial cutting, but I completely agree that this is very important.

7,000 + miles and still holding strong!
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

Bixxer Bob

Good, glad its working.  And thanks for the weeding BTW  :occasion14
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

VABird

10,000 miles without an issue.
So glad I did this.