News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel economy (I never thought it would come to this)

Started by Feisty, March 11, 2020, 01:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feisty

I can't believe I am asking what people get from their steamers. It's a bike! Who cares I would have said yesterday.

That is until I filled up today for the first time. The bike is new to me and was off the road for 6 years. I had the carbies rebuilt and it seems to run fine.

The bike used 10.5L per 100km or 26.5 mpg!!!!!!

Sure I was having fun listening to the shriek of the triple at full noise but that fuel usage seems extraordinary.

My oilhead bmws get about twice that.

ssevy

I get over 40 mpg here in the US most of the time while touring fully loaded. If I am really on the throttle all day, it will drop to mid-30s.
Not sure how to convert US gallons and miles to your numbers?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Lee337

40mpg (US) is equivalent to 48mpg (UK)

it's roughly 1:1.2

Can't help with Steamer mpg as I have a Girly.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Feisty

Quote from: ssevy on March 11, 2020, 04:41:46 PM
I get over 40 mpg here in the US most of the time while touring fully loaded. If I am really on the throttle all day, it will drop to mid-30s.
Not sure how to convert US gallons and miles to your numbers?

Cheers. It's not the expense that is annoying me it is the effect is has on the range.  I keep fuel use records on all my bikes as I find it a good indicator as to how the bike is running.

Mart

Jeez, you must be having some fun to get that consumption!
I get 48 mpg consistently from my Steamer. Full tank to reserve 210 miles.

Feisty

Cheers guys.
I'll try and get through another tank this week and report back to you.  I'm not entirely happy with the carbs . One of the slides stutters a bit on quick throttle openings until 4 grand and then it works fine.
The exhaust doesn't appear rich and the bike blows no smoke.   
It does seem to lack power below 3 grand but from what I have read this seems normal.  I suppose I just have to get used to riding the clutch and keeping the revs close to 3000 rpm as I take off.
My world has been full of twins for the last 25 years so I have to relearn how inline engines of 3+ cylinders behave I suppose.

Sidk

City Driving I get 9l to 100km
on the Highway only I get 5.5l to 100km

but i am due for a carb tune and syncing...

threepot

Shouldn't lack power anywhere in the rev range,especially low down! These bikes pull really nicely regardless what gear. Has it got std rear sprocket..47t ?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Beernard

Gday Feisty,
Sounds a bit thirsty! In stock trim (although PO had obviously been inside the cans) and using only 98RON, my 93 (Mikunis) would give around 5.2L/100k at best (varied riding, no misbehaving). Not sure about worst - I never thought to check!
Hope all is well down South.
Ripper, woke up again.

Feisty

Quote from: threepot on March 13, 2020, 04:33:19 PM
Shouldn't lack power anywhere in the rev range,especially low down! These bikes pull really nicely regardless what gear. Has it got std rear sprocket..47t ?

Cheers mate. I'll check the sprockets tomorrow but it seems like standard gearing.    It's a real killer when you don't have anything to compare it to. I love the bike and have thrown £650 at rebuilding the carbs when in hindsight I should have replaced them.   It absolutely sings above 4500 rpm. Maybe I should just keep it as my highway bike....

Feisty

Quote from: Beernard on March 15, 2020, 06:48:34 AM
Gday Feisty,
Sounds a bit thirsty! In stock trim (although PO had obviously been inside the cans) and using only 98RON, my 93 (Mikunis) would give around 5.2L/100k at best (varied riding, no misbehaving). Not sure about worst - I never thought to check!
Hope all is well down South.

Cheers mate.

All weird here as I imagine it is everywhere.  They will be studying the social chaos this has caused in Oz for the rest of our lives.

5.2 sounds what I would expect. I really don't want to take it to another mechanic as he will have to go through a few hours just to get his head around what has previously been done so it is has me in a bit of a quandary as to which direction to head.

Beernard

Gday mate,
I don't have much else. Maybe just ride the old girl a lot and pay for the juice! Channel your inner Stroker! Perhaps we should relish in the "Times when you could actually buy petrol". Not very helpful, I'm afraid, but kind of how I think.
Ripper, woke up again.

Feisty

Yep. I hear you mate. If it was my only bike then I would be disappointed at the lack of range but it's not.
Hopefully a single carb with a few bits I need will turn up somewhere. I'm not sure if the other triples of the era use an identical setup.

bemusedinsojo

When I first got my red steamer, the gas mileage was terrible. With the help of many from TT, I put the correct jet size in the carbs and adjusted the F/A screws to their recommended place. This helped immensely. Check that you have the proper plugs. Make sure all intake parts are not blocked (mine had an off-road intake sock on it) and all the parts are tight. Do a valve check also (wonderful guide here, took all the guesswork out). This is my two-bits on gas mileage.
Side note: my steamer when I got was in bad shape: it felt like a money pit and it was always broke down in.pieces in the garage. It took two years to get it up (steady gents, steady). What I learned was invaluable-I fixed it all myself with directions from someone here. Good luck.

fishnbiker

Starting at the beginning; have you adjusted the valves & got the carbs synched? I gained a good 40km more out of a tankful after that was sorted. On my 95 I have the Keihin CVK carbs set up for a larger K&N filter, getting about 4.9 ~ 4.7L/100km (up to 52 UK mpg) with 48T rear & 19t front cogs. When I put on a 17T front I get up to 30km less per tankful.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE