News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Alternator ?

Started by fishnbiker, March 19, 2020, 10:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnbiker

Many many moons ago, there was a discussion about upgrading the Tiger's alternator from one off a Kawasaki Concours. I came across one of these & would like to install it due to the extra wattage being available; 400w vs. 280w.

However, I find that the alternators have differing driven (sprocket) splines & may not work without changing over the Triumph one onto the Kawasaki alternator. There is a single bolt holding it on, but it won't come loose after removing the bolt. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks, Ken
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

ssevy

I remember seeing something on the rat site about that when I was considering such a change on my Legend. There was some filing involved to fit it, and it was a pretty crude looking install. I wonder if any electronics shops can rebuild our factory ones with more turns of copper for more output?
Voltage output is just one of the cool things a newer model year would bring, but none of them look as good as a Steamer, so that's a no for me :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

fishnbiker

Somehow I goofed & had to add the photo on a second posting. Will continue there.

These 2 alternators are identical but for the Cush drive sprockets. Just trying to find how to swap that one part.

Thanks, Ken
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Nick Calne

How about a couple of photos to compare.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?