News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1998 Fork Refresh Questions

Started by corvettecris, June 15, 2020, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corvettecris

Hi all from Charlotte, NC!

I have a 1998 with 30,400 miles. It seems to have developed a very harsh reaction to road bumps, the best I can describe it is as a 'shudder' that rattles the handlebars and fairing. It seems worse when I am in a curve, or 'banking' in a lean. I am not sure what is causing this, but I figure given the miles and age of the bike it is time for a refresh anyways. I plan to replace the tires, refresh the fork oil, check fork alignment, wheel/head bearings, torque settings and etc. My question is this: Should I just do routine maintenance with fresh seals/oil/etc or should I take this opportunity to upgrade the springs? I have looked a Wilburs Promoto, as well as the Racetech Gold Valves and springs (which feel like overkill, perhaps).  I am not looking for a race bike, just to get her well sorted.

Pic is my tiger, sharing because everyone likes pics.

93TigerBill-2016

Nice Steamer!
I did mine (a '93) some years back (but few miles), and just fitted a progressive rate spring to match my & the 'bike's all up weight, and 'thickened' the oll to 15 wt.
With the rebuild of the rear shock, and again upgraded spring, suits me fine.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

Geoff W

I fitted Hagon Progressive springs a long time ago, must have done 50-60 thou miles since then, they are fine, changed the oil a couple of times. Not sure if they are still available. The Wilber's should be good if they are as good as their rear shocks.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

corvettecris

I removed the forks and flushed them, then replaced the oil with 15wt.  The fork dive seems improved, but the harsh 'shudder' I described is still there.  I'm out of ideas.

Geoff W

Did you check the head bearings? Also check the rear shock linkage, has been known to loose a grease nipple and grind the grease out, at least mine did.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

badrooster

+1 on bearings and linkage. Also chain slack, wheel bearings , and triple tree and axle bolt torque in the proper sequence is important to ensure no binding or head shake.

Bixxer Bob

Before we get into all the technical things it could  be, how many miles on your tyres, how old, and what make?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...