News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Low rev hesitation when warm.

Started by Misterplant, June 08, 2020, 08:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misterplant

Hi chaps.i haven't used the tiger for a while,what with serious flooding,remember that? Then this virus thing you may have heard about,and it's more of a winter bike for me-my tiger 1050 gets regular outings the rest of the time,anyway to the point-
Got the bike roadworthy and motd without issue back just before corvid,then Back in the garage with lock down and all for a couple of months.
Took it for a spin,recently and it's developed this new problem.
Starts good as ever,every time,runs fine from cold,but when you stop,and start it again it still starts and idles fine,but there is a hesitation and mildly erratic response at low revs.Be patient for a couple of minutes and it seems to be back to normal...until ignition off and on again.
I replaced the stator,regulator and battery late last year after some charging issues and have a gauge fitted so I know it's charging ok,no engine management light coming on,I've got the tank etc off and checked the stepper unit visually,all seems ok.
It's the fact it seems to sort itself out after a few minutes that has me scratching my head.
Any clues from the learned ones?
It's an 04 spoke wheel Girly if that makes any difference.

HockleyBoy

Have you tried plugging in TuneECU to look for any fault codes/re upload the MAP etc?

Might give you some pointers.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Lee337

If the fuel has been in the tank for a while, it may be starting to degrade. Ethanol is hygroscopic, so will absorb moisture from the air which could be causing some issues.

I always use a fuel stabiliser if leaving the bike for more than a couple of months to stop the fuel going off. It can start degrading in as little as 3 months, so a fresh tank of fuel and a good run to clear out the injectors could help.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Misterplant

Thanks for the responses,I don't have a tuneboy I regret,and I kept the tank fairly low.ironicly the problem showed up first when I went and filled the tank,lol.
I drained this new tank full all bar a litre or two to aid tank removal and investigation and put it in my tiger 1050.all used on a weekend run with no issues,but il drain the rest and check the tank properly.
I get the stale fuel bit,but I started the old girl up every couple of weeks or so,while off the road,and if it was that,surely the problem would be there from first start rather than Only with a warm engine?im leaning towards an electrical issue,but all advice gratefully received and investigated.

Timbox2

Could be stepper motor/valve related but be careful if you decide to try and take apart. I would maybe inspect and spray some carb cleaner down the valve, it may be sticking when warm. Cycling the ignition resets its position so sort of makes sense
2016 Tiger Sport

Misterplant

Thanks Tim,yep,I suspected the stepper hence tank removal,but it makes all the right noises and movements on a visual check both when started cold and when the hesitating throttle is happening.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Misterplant on June 10, 2020, 05:32:54 PM
Thanks for the responses,I don't have a tuneboy I regret,

You don't need Tuneboy, you can download TuneECU for free and all you need is an ODBC cable (£10 or less from ebay) and away you go.

Plenty of info on how to use it on here and even if it dosent solve the problem this time mat save you a trip or two to the dealer in future.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Lee337

If you go down the route of using TuneECU (as I have) there are two versions, Windows (free to download) which is no longer updated but still works well and an Android version (£10 IIRC) which is.

The only thing to be careful of is the connection cable, not all of them work, something to do with the chipset I think. I purchased a Lonlec cable which works well & is recommended by the guy who wrote TuneECU.

It's a handy bit of kit
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Misterplant

Thanks for the advice.The problem I have is no laptop,this is from an iPad.il have to see if I can get a borrow.

Misterplant

Quick update,drained the rest of the tank into a clear tub,and got about a half mug of water come out too.given I gave the tank a clean back in November,when I had the fuel pump out(leaky fuel coupling)and the bike lives in a dry garage,and hasn't been washed during that time,it's condensation from a metal fuel can plus ethanol effect,seems a lot for six months though.
I had foolishly hoped that clean tank,new fuel might solve it,but nope,still doing it.
I remembered I have an obd11 reader thingy in my old car and plugged that in.it sparked up ok and whilst obviously not triumph specific,isn't showing any codes.
So...on to the next.you probably can guess I'm not very clued with computers,but I've blagged a laptop use,and also dug out my old dealertool,circa 2014.i used on my old speed triple.
But problems beget problems and the laptop is a Mac,.doesnt seem to want to run it.
Any clues?
Also tune Ecu,before I get a cable,is that Mac compatible? :^_^

HockleyBoy

From the website it looks like it is possible to run it on a Mac but you need more computer knowledge than I have!