News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steering Head Bearing Replacement

Started by gbcphoto, June 28, 2020, 03:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbcphoto

After 110,000Km on my 01, Its time to replace the steering bearings. Ran out of adjustment. I have it apart and am waiting on in an AllBalls replacement set. Now after doing a little research I have read a few posts about that brand not being the best replacement. Price is certainly right but now in hind sight I'm rethinking....you get what you pay for?
Any one have any experience with that make?  Advice? Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Gary
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Tiger-G

Hi  :icon_biggrin:,

I had the same dilemma.......but with wheel bearings instead.

Some so called "decent" makes of bearings are in fact crap.......all-balls included. I did a load of research after my so called decent wheel bearings failed after just a couple of thousands of miles (twice !!), and from what I remember all-balls are now made in China and the tolerances, materials, workmanship, etc, just isn't what it used to be. I was advised to contact a reputable bearing supplier in the UK and they were fantastic. They were happy to chat on the phone to give me the best information possible and narrowed my search down to just two bearing manufacturers who's quality assurance is second to none. I couldn't believe how cheap they were too, as you are missing out the middlemen. This is the company:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIaAsdim6gIVQYBQBh3YogyDEAAYASAAEgISxvD_BwE

I've just noticed you're in Canada, so I would find a reputable independent bearing company over there and listen to their advice  :thumbsup

After their recommendation on two quality bearing manufacturers, I went with Koyo.

Good luck with your choices  :icon_wink:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

gbcphoto

Thanks Tiger-G!! That is pretty much what I was expecting to hear. Sadly I had ordered them before really thinking it through. I'm out 50$ Canadian. Not the worst it could be. I have already sourced a few bearing dealers my town. I'm going that route for sure.
Thanks again.
Cheers

G
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Tiger-G

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.