News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

That time again

Started by Lee337, October 01, 2020, 03:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

MOT due today, just rebuilt one of the front callipers that was sticking so it should now sail through.

I'll find out at 3.30pm.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Bostedsprocket

Best of luck, mines due oct 31, need to replace head bearings, it would probably go through as is maybe pick up an advisory but ill get it sorted i can forget it then.
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Tiger-G

Great when your MOT guy lives two doors up, and is a good mate  :thumbsup

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

Don't think mine has turned a wheel from the last one, which must be due anytime soon  :icon_redface:

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Tiger-G on October 03, 2020, 01:00:52 PM
Great when your MOT guy lives two doors up, and is a good mate  :thumbsup
Hi Greame, did you sell your tiger?

Lee337

Sailed through the MOT with a barely run in 64,000 miles on the clock.

Except, after I pushed it out of the MOT bay, it wouldn't start, battery died. So, jump started it & rode it 5 miles home. Ran a couple of tests with a multi-meter, expecting the reg/rec or stator. both were fine although when running it was only showing 13.2v across the battery terminals. Disconnected the reg/rec, cleaned up all the connectors & tried again, 13.7v at idle.

I'm now checking the drain on the Motobatt battery while it's parked up in the garage. I bought a battery for the (being rebuilt) Trophy last week which is the same size as the one on the Tiger, so if the Motobatt has had it, it's back to good old Yuasa.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Tiger-G

Quote from: Bostedsprocket on October 04, 2020, 11:39:41 AM
Hi Greame, did you sell your tiger?

Hi mate,

Yes, unfortunately, I sold it in March. Really miss it, and haven't replaced it with a Tiger 1200 as yet  :icon_sad:

Don't want to get another Tiger at the moment, as my old wooden garage where it would be stored is too vulnerable to break-in's. Thieves tried to break in again a couple of months ago  :icon_frown:. So the idea is....get an extension on the house, with a nice big brick built garage, get a 1200, and enjoy next summer  :icon_lol:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Lee337 on October 05, 2020, 11:46:03 AM
Sailed through the MOT with a barely run in 64,000 miles on the clock.

Except, after I pushed it out of the MOT bay, it wouldn't start, battery died. So, jump started it & rode it 5 miles home. Ran a couple of tests with a multi-meter, expecting the reg/rec or stator. both were fine although when running it was only showing 13.2v across the battery terminals. Disconnected the reg/rec, cleaned up all the connectors & tried again, 13.7v at idle.

I'm now checking the drain on the Motobatt battery while it's parked up in the garage. I bought a battery for the (being rebuilt) Trophy last week which is the same size as the one on the Tiger, so if the Motobatt has had it, it's back to good old Yuasa.

You won't regret getting rid of the Motobatt.  At least the Yuasa lead acid will warn you before it packs up.  I tend to follow Chris Canning's approach. He replaces the battery evern two or three years anyway.  An averaage of 15 quid a year for peace of mind is peanuts in my view. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bostedsprocket

My tiger sailed through the mot today. lets hope next year is better than this one and we can all get some miles in!!! :__ :__

Chris Canning

I would't Be holding your breath or come to think of it make sure no one is breathing on you  :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 16, 2020, 09:27:01 PM
I would't Be holding your breath or come to think of it make sure no one is breathing on you  :icon_lol:

:rfl :rfl :rfl
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Lee337

It all happens after an MOT although I suppose it's better than just before.

The latest is a sticky front brake calliper. I'd taken the left calliper off the bike for a clean before the MOT and for a while it seemed ok. But after leaving the bike in the garage for just over a week, it was sticking again. Nothing for it, I'll have to strip it down & replace the seals, something I haven't done on this bike in my 2 years of ownership, so it was probably due.

New seals ordered from Sprint Manufacturing for both front callipers (the rear one was done last year) and as soon as they arrived, I stripped down the callipers. Finally managed to wrestle the pistons out to find they were badly corroded.

New pistons ordered, callipers reassembled & fluid changed and all is working as it should. Now we're about to go in to Lockdown II, it'll probably be a few more weeks before i get to ride again though, unless I can find a few hours tomorrow.

Timbox2

Quote from: Bostedsprocket on October 15, 2020, 09:11:43 PM
My tiger sailed through the mot today. lets hope next year is better than this one and we can all get some miles in!!! :__ :__

Well, next year is here and it looks shite from where Im standing :icon_frown:
2016 Tiger Sport