News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2021 Survivors Ride

Started by Nick Calne, January 06, 2021, 06:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

It is what the off-season is for! Get everything cleaned up, prepped and serivecd so you can leave the garage in April like a newly equipped rider.  That feeling lasts for expectedly one wet ride and then back to normal - until the off season.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

blacktiger

Quote from: Geoff W on January 08, 2021, 11:00:40 AM
I rode up on a BMW 1150 R I acquired from a friend It vibrated so much the headlight fell off,

BMW stalwarts refer to it as character. I use to upset them by calling it shit engineering.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

For me? Anywhere away from home with some scenery and a decent pub. Roll on summer.

ghulst

Quote from: blacktiger on January 14, 2021, 03:49:56 PM
BMW stalwarts refer to it as character. I use to upset them by calling it shit engineering.

:icon_mrgreen:

Interesting though. My 1150 GS never vibrated that much. And I have heard fantastic stories of epic BMW failures, but have not experienced any of them myself. My GS was quite reliable actually. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Mart

I've had several GS's over the years, some smoother than others, but 2 things were constant: When really hot, they sounded like a tin of nuts and bolts in a cement mixer, and the buffeting at speed from the screen was almost unbearable.  I so much prefer my Steamer...

Lee337

Around 15 years ago I had an old (1989) Yamaha Super Tenere and remember test riding a GS at the bike show in Peterborough. I remember getting off the GS & thinking my old Tenere was a much better ride, more comfortable, better handling and better engine response.

I also test rode a GS shortly before I bought my Tiger, I made the right choice, the GS just didn't suit me. Hard to put a finger on it but throughout the ride, I didn't gel with it.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Lee337

Could be up for a group ride later in the year, depending on when & where. I'm taking redundancy at the end of June, so I'm sure I may be able to get a weekend pass before all those jobs the Mrs is saving for me, gets done.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

blacktiger

Quote from: Lee337 on January 15, 2021, 12:49:50 PM
before all those jobs the Mrs is saving for me, gets done.

Surprise her by doing them all. Then there's no excuse for not coming out.

mat-tiger1

I wonder if they'll ever allow that strange crowd from the Isle Of White onto the mainland ever again?  :icon_eek: :icon_eek:  :rfl
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Lee337

Quote from: blacktiger on January 15, 2021, 05:16:58 PM
Surprise her by doing them all. Then there's no excuse for not coming out.

You haven't seen the list - that's a full time job right there  :icon_cry:

GavD

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on January 16, 2021, 01:22:14 PM
I wonder if they'll ever allow that strange crowd from the Isle Of White onto the mainland ever again?  :icon_eek: :icon_eek:  :rfl

With our current Covid rate, I don't think you want us over there.

We've all been saying that we'll have to get some 'big island' trips in next year when things improve. So look out. :tin hat
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Not that many days ago I would have said Shetland would have been a good option. Just shows you, it only needs a couple to slip through the net, cry Havoc  :nono

Shetland is a great experience anyway, great roads, great food and drink, unexpectedly diverse scenery. I started making arrangements to visit through a contact in 2019 for their 2020 Classic Show (biannual), the rest as they say ..............
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I'd love to go back.  Haven't been to Unst since 1996.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Never been there. Can you get your bike there?  Hell of a haul for Gav and chums!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 17, 2021, 11:10:52 PM
Never been there. Can you get your bike there?  Hell of a haul for Gav and chums!

It's probably only something you'd do as part of a Grand Tour, you have to use the overnight vehicle ferry from Aberdeen, which isn't as pricey as you might think and if you're going to the Classic Show, the organisers will get you a pre arranged discount with Nothlink who operate the ferries.

Orkney is a bit more accessible, with the shortest sailing from Scrabster, interesting in many ways but not memorable for the riding.

The Outer Hebridies are in a category all of their own and quite accessible with several options.

Gav & chums could then dine out for years on tales of their British Isles extreme ends rides, LE JOG is just so last century  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint