News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Becoming A Bargain

Started by Chris Canning, January 11, 2021, 09:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Have to say my Tiger which i've Had from new, but well down the food chain but as part of the family furniture and of course the room to store it...having done some recent service and TLC to it may well come out of storage Covid excepted, when looking at eBay see a nice Tiger from a dealer under £2500 less the haggle with 28000 miles seems a bargain for a practical Do all bike.

Lee337

I agree, there seems to be a few bargains out there at the moment.

Personally, I'm waiting for the prices to start going up, not that I'm planning on selling mine. I wouldn't say it's the best bike I've ridden, but with me fast approaching 60, my body faster than my mind, it suits me down to the ground. I have a Trophy sitting in the garage and once it's back on the road, I still expect the Tiger to be the favourite.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Tiger-G

I bought my 2007 '955 new for £6,000, had it for 13 years and 55,000 miles, and sold it in March for £2,000. That's what I call a bargain !!  :icon_biggrin:

By my calculations that's £308 a year depreciation  :icon_scratch:. Not bad at all  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Nick Calne

Girlies are cheap at the moment but it won't be long until they start going up again.  Now is the right time to snap up a bargain, before spring, before the end of lockdown, surely. 

BTW I bought my steamer for £2000 in 2009 and looking at ebay it is now worth about £2000.  Which is £0/ annum.  (Just don't tell anyone about the maybe £5000 or so spent on maintenance and replacement parts in the interim!!)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Lee337

Bought my Girly for £1600 2 1/2 years ago and I was offered more than I paid for it not long after.

I suspect with minus depreciation it pays me to keep it.  :icon_lol:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 14, 2021, 02:25:31 PM
BTW I bought my steamer for £2000 in 2009 and looking at ebay it is now worth about £2000.  Which is £0/ annum.  (Just don't tell anyone about the maybe £5000 or so spent on maintenance and replacement parts in the interim!!)
I bought my steamer for €1000 when I got it. I had it for almost two years, put some €350 in parts into it and sold it for €2450. I would call that a bargain. ;)
I now own an 800XC which I bought for over €1000 under market value as it did not run. Change of regulator (used) and battery for slightly over €120 and it has been treating me well. Well, apart from the shift thingy breaking, which was more work than cost. I have added the original adventure panniers and I think I can still sell it for over €1000 more than I am into it. ;)

Yes, I try to do some cost-neutral bike riding. To be honest, I don't think that is going to happen on my Ducati 600SS as I got that as a neglected bike that had been sitting for 9 years. With all the parts that have gone into it, I am now around what they seem to go for. Though I can always say mine has new belts etc. which should be worth something.
Oh, did I mention that I never buy from dealers or trade in? And that I am patient to wait for the right bike at the right price, or the right buyer. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

I suspect my '93 Trophy will end up cost neutral even though it was given to me free by a friend of my uncle.

It had been sitting outside unused and covered by an old tarp for best part of 12 years when I got it & has so far cost be around £1400.

Got another £3-400 to go before it's fit for the road again and low mileage Trophy's are going for around £1800, not that I'm planning on selling it.

Who knew a free bike could cost so much.

ghulst

Quote from: Lee337 on January 15, 2021, 12:41:38 PM
Who knew a free bike could cost so much.
A free bike is never really free. ;) If you don't pay for your bike to the previous owner, the bike will demand the money itself. ;)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ghulst on January 15, 2021, 11:37:28 PM
A free bike is never really free. ;) If you don't pay for your bike to the previous owner, the bike will demand the money itself. ;)

:*&*  :thumbsup That could end up being a catch phrase  :nod

The early T300's are very under valued in the current market in my opinion, especially the 1200's.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

I'm certainly paying my 1200 Trophy rather than the previous owner, not that I'm complaining,

Looking forward to the day I first ride it.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Lee337 on January 16, 2021, 07:49:35 PM
1200 Trophy

The early ones were just (Very) slightly comfier than the Daytonas, it'll be a blast  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: Lee337 on January 16, 2021, 07:49:35 PM
I'm certainly paying my 1200 Trophy rather than the previous owner, not that I'm complaining,

Not before you have posted some pictures somewhere. ;)

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 16, 2021, 06:09:00 PM
:*&*   :thumbsup That could end up being a catch phrase  :nod
Unfortunately, I speak out of experience... Don't ask me about my cheap '94 Ducati 600 SS....

Bostedsprocket

I paid £1600.00 for mine October 2018, i still love it and think its one of the most comfortable bikes ive owned. Decided not to run it through winter this year and bought a van to commute to work, cant wait for better weather covid free times to get back out on the old girl, also need to loose some Christmas weight so i can shoe horn myself back into my riding gear!!!!!!
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!