News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just what is the the best....

Started by Nick Calne, January 17, 2021, 11:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

....colour for a steamer.

I have a hankering to get a respray to a non standard colour, but play with it as I might black seems to always come up trumps.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

You might be cheaper changing all the plastics.

I've got some pics of a US all white one that looks pretty good. Pearlised white with a blue pearl coat and original style decals I think would look great. I did that with my Rover SD1 special in the 80's, it looked ivory as it came at you and then slowly changed through reflective to blue and back as it passed, it was great fun to watch peoples reactions but it cost a fortune and didn't help me pick up chicks  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I saw a photo of a Girly painted this awesome red color that the owner had copied from a pedal bike, I believe sponsored in a race? He said it was multi layer with a pink undercoat covered by the red overcoat, and it looked great in the photo.

I also love the imperial green on my buddy's 2000 Legend. That is one that you never see.

You could also opt for one of the plastic shrink wrap finishes, which come in every pattern under the sun, if they work on our nylon and plastic parts?

Wish I could find that Girly picture...oh well :icon_scratch:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

I'd forgotten about wrapping, good idea  :thumbsup , reversible and it might hide the ethanol blisters.

My first Steamer was silver when I bought it (a BMW colour I think). Wasn't a bad job, just not for me.

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Not a fan of the silver either; looks too much like a BMW :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ghulst

Well, silver really is just fancy grey and grey is boring...

I do like the regular red's and blue's though...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Nick Calne

Blimey Gav, back to the 90's in a timewarp.  And No, not doing that!  It would go well if I could find a set of field sheer acid worm leathers! (remember them?)

The white one looks like a stormtrooper from Star Wars and I doubt, highly doubt, that any paint scheme is going to help you pick up Chicks on a steamer!  It would be some colour if it could!

The wrapping is a good call, I wonder if it could just inject a bit of interest, maybe do something, not all the bike.  Some stripes perhaps?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Vest Steamer I've seen was Pete from Peterborough,  used to be a member, in white with red bits, sort of supermiti look to it
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ghulst

Oh, as a different look, I think I have seen one or two sand color ones that I really liked as well. Perhaps the sand color from the Ducati 1260 Enduro would be an option. I really liked it and it seems to be pretty good against scratches etc as well.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 18, 2021, 09:27:15 PM
It would go well if I could find a set of field sheer acid worm leathers! (remember them?)

One of my mates in our local Classic Club has a set of leathers like that, he bought them for a previous girlfriend (to match his Guzzi Strada) and he decided to use them when his own started to split rather than sell them, fortunately he's an A cup also. Locally he's known as The Pink Panther  :*&*

I like the sand idea, there was a Steamer for sale on the Evilbay recently that was done out in Desert Storm IFOR colours, it actually looked good as it had been quite well done. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 19, 2021, 03:45:57 AM
I like the sand idea, there was a Steamer for sale on the Evilbay recently that was done out in Desert Storm IFOR colours, it actually looked good as it had been quite well done. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

I did find this picture on the MotoBau.de website. This kind of color does suit it. In my opinion it makes it feel a bit more modern. Though this example does look well-used. ;)

GavD

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 18, 2021, 10:56:45 PM
Vest Steamer I've seen was Pete from Peterborough,  used to be a member, in white with red bits, sort of supermiti look to it
Indeed, that one was lovely.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

ghulst

But honestly, I just don't like those small wheels... Almost like it is a training Tiger... Training wheels and all that. ;)

93TigerBill-2016

Quote from: ghulst on January 19, 2021, 04:48:02 PM
But honestly, I just don't like those small wheels... Almost like it is a training Tiger... Training wheels and all that. ;)

At least they're Tubeless.....
Does look a bit funky though.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911