Author Topic: Red, Italian and in my garage... (Ducati 600SS)  (Read 808 times)

May 31, 2021, 09:19:59 PMReply #15 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
Ok, so I did not take any advice and just bought a full new set. They made the carbs look a lot better:

Then the job came to disassemble half the bike again, to switch the carbs out once again. I am getting quite adept at this as this must be the fifth or sixth time I pulled the carbs and put a set back on. ;)

And then, the moment of truth:

The good thing is, that it responds to the throttle now. That is more than it has ever done on this set of carbs. Hopefully it now just needs to be tuned to work. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

May 31, 2021, 09:31:45 PMReply #16 on

Offline Lee337

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
It's coming on, I suspect you'll pip me to the post on getting old bikes back on the road, but it'll be close.

AND, it sounds like a real bike, not like today's Ducati's that rattle like a bag of nails.   :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

May 31, 2021, 10:09:42 PMReply #17 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Hahahahaha, it sounds like a LOT of bike. You don't want to start this one at 7am if you want to be able to talk to your neighbours at any time. ;)

Not sure if I will pip you to it, as this is a part that I completely do not understand how to do, so I am going to need some help. And my help does not seem to have much time. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

June 01, 2021, 08:20:17 PMReply #18 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
I am not positively sure I won't beat your bike to the road...

HELP!
Anyway, today I was completely fed up with this stupid red thing. I had found the screw to try and get the thing to idle. Which kind of worked. I got it to a point where it would tick over and so, that made me happy...   :thumbsup 

Until I touched the throttle...

When I touched that, the rpms rise and stick up there. They are not coming down. In the video I touch the throttle twice and the only thing it does, is stick on that rpm. The only way to get it down is to switch it off.  :BangHead

*sigh*

Do you know that feeling when you know you have bitten off more than you can chew? Well, that is the way I feel about this red annoyance right now. I don't think I will ever buy another bike that has been sitting for 9 years. Honestly.

And remind me when I mention I have plans otherwise.

June 02, 2021, 02:13:25 AMReply #19 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
Sounds better than a Steamer with one duff coil though  ;)

Is there any chance it's something simple like a sticky throttle cable? If it's been siting around for that long it wouldn't come as a surprise. The only other thought I had was a sticking float bowl needle.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

June 03, 2021, 08:12:59 PMReply #20 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
The only other thought I had was a sticking float bowl needle.

:icon_redface:  I think that might be it. Time to disassemble the whole bloody thing again... :notworthy

June 03, 2021, 10:39:14 PMReply #21 on

Offline Bixxer Bob

• Auditor of Reality
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    0.67%
  • I make the mistakes so you don't have to.....
  • Bike model currently owned: 2013 Exploder
What make of carbs?  I've recently become a bit of a Keihin fiddler......

Our VFR did the high tickover thing, it was very lean as it turns out, once we got it on the dyno.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

June 05, 2021, 01:53:28 PMReply #22 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl

OK, so this might be my dilemma. The white ring is tight enough that I really need to push it hard to get it to the top of the standard needles. On the Dynojet needles, the white ring has a little bit of play. This means, that half way the needle I need to push it a little. However, it will easily slide down words on the needle. Upwards is another story. Which means that when running the needle will creep out of the ring, leaving the fuel to flow into the carb.

Any decent suggestions on how to solve this?

June 05, 2021, 05:28:21 PMReply #23 on

Offline Lee337

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
Sadly, I have little knowledge of carb alchemy, which is why I entrusted my carb refurb to a mechanic. Short of replacing the needles, I wouldn't know where to start.

Off now to balance my carbs, that's something I'll find out if I can do or not shortly  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

June 05, 2021, 11:44:50 PMReply #24 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Not familiar with Italian bike carbs, Delortto's? On most carbs that I've dabbled with, the needle is either secured into the top of the slide by a clip or pressed into the top of slide by the return spring. The first thing I'd check is that both carbs have the same needles, easy enough to check with a vernier, just put both needles into the vernier at the same time and they should both sit at the same length. I've seen it where a set of carbs had mismatched needles.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

June 06, 2021, 09:20:40 PMReply #25 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
It's got two nicely matched new needles. These are Mikuni's and the needles are held in place with a spring. However, the force that is needed to push the needle through the plastic ring is more than the spring offers. The unfortunate thing is that apparently there is enough force to get the needle up through the ring in the first place, but then the spring can't push it back...

I have now resorted to pulling all of the new parts out of these carbs and fitting them to the other set that I had lying about, but that were leaking through the tap screw... We'll see.

June 07, 2021, 12:07:27 AMReply #26 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator

June 19, 2021, 12:26:50 PMReply #27 on

Offline Lee337

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal