News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My MY2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Started by ghulst, January 19, 2021, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Quote from: ghulst on January 20, 2021, 11:28:54 AM
That sounds really nice Phil. What year did you get the WP shock from? Is that a bolt-on solution? And any difference with those brakes? I don't think we have many Triumph breakers around here, unfortunately, so that means paying higher prices for those parts. ;)

It was the 15-17 Model year shock, there is one on ebay UK currently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-800-xc-Genuine-Rear-Shock-Never-Used-But-Has-Marks-From-Shelf/402646773580

Bolt in fitment, and although a "Budget" WP product, a definitive improvement on the original

Brembo callipers same thing. Bolt in replacement. They are nicely made, and the pistons appear to be ceramic coated.
They fit the original disc, but they run a bit higher, so if you discs have a pronounced lip, they might take some bedding in.
My bike only has 14K miles, and the discs are not too bad, so I am happy to let them blend.

ghulst

The Brembo's are also from the 15-17? Because I was just checking with the one Dutch Triumph breaker and they list Nissin's for the 15-17...

That shock looks good. Unfortunately, that is on eBay UK and the seller does not seem to be shipping to the Netherlands. :( That is a pretty good price for a new shock though.

My Tiger has 80+K on it, but the discs are ok. So, worth digging into.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Think the Brembos are from 17-19 ( V3 bikes)

blacktiger

Another common problem with the XC is that the front mudguard gets crushed by the mounting bolts, cracks and then falls apart. My cure was to buy some Girly mudguard bolts, which have a shoulder on them. You do need to drill out the holes in the mudguard to suit the new bolts. Pack out the XC mudguard with plastic washers so the the whole thing is secure and Bob's yer Uncle, no crushing.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

[quote author=ghulst link=topic=17017.msg131831#msg131831 date=1611139284

That shock looks good. Unfortunately, that is on eBay UK and the seller does not seem to be shipping to the Netherlands. :( That is a pretty good price for a new shock though.

[/quote]

If you're after a shock, just splash out on a Nitron. They're absolutely stunning. I went for the ADV R2 with Hydraulic preload adjuster. Plus get your forks some new internals. As standard, the compression damping of the Showas both ends is far too harsh. If you're not convinced, swap the fork oil for a 5W and feel the difference in ride quality.

Lee337

Wow, they have hills in the Netherlands - it's not all flat as we're led to believe  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Quote from: blacktiger on January 27, 2021, 05:19:04 PM
If you're after a shock, just splash out on a Nitron. They're absolutely stunning. I went for the ADV R2 with Hydraulic preload adjuster. Plus get your forks some new internals. As standard, the compression damping of the Showas both ends is far too harsh. If you're not convinced, swap the fork oil for a 5W and feel the difference in ride quality.
I wasn't really. But I am always up for a bargain. ;) Quite happy with the setup right now.

Quote from: Lee337 on January 27, 2021, 05:27:31 PM
Wow, they have hills in the Netherlands - it's not all flat as we're led to believe  :icon_mrgreen:
LOL, no, those hills were during my road trip to Luxembourg. ;)

Lee337

ahh, geographical stereotype restored.   :ImaPoser
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Had an "Oh, crap!" moment today...

I had to take the Tiger out for a run today to prepare for tomorrow. It has been sitting for a while, so I had to make sure it worked well, before getting stranded on the way to work tomorrow. ;) However, when you are doing that, there are a lot of things you are doing simultaneously. Which resulted in me forgetting to lock the top case. Well, on a big bump, I heard a big crash and saw the thing sliding across the road in my rear view mirror. Not a pretty sight. It is still very functional, but very scratched... I guess I have to think of more war stories of epic rides to explain these.  :icon_rolleyes:

London_Phil

blacktiger

Quote from: ghulst on March 10, 2021, 11:48:33 PM

Had an "Oh, crap!" moment today...

I had to take the Tiger out for a run today to prepare for tomorrow. It has been sitting for a while, so I had to make sure it worked well, before getting stranded on the way to work tomorrow. ;) However, when you are doing that, there are a lot of things you are doing simultaneously. Which resulted in me forgetting to lock the top case. Well, on a big bump, I heard a big crash and saw the thing sliding across the road in my rear view mirror. Not a pretty sight. It is still very functional, but very scratched... I guess I have to think of more war stories of epic rides to explain these.  :icon_rolleyes:

You see? I told you battle scars add character.

ghulst

Well, I now have plenty of battle scars on it...

Might as well just leave the passenger handles.  :BangHead

blacktiger

Quote from: ghulst on March 11, 2021, 10:42:16 PM
Well, I now have plenty of battle scars on it...

Might as well just leave the passenger handles.  :BangHead

I think the Paracord idea was a good one.

93TigerBill-2016

Bit hard to Paracord Wrap a TopBox though....
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911