Author Topic: Tabitha 1200  (Read 4013 times)

May 07, 2021, 11:19:56 PMReply #105 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    9.33%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
Oh, 'the length of the drive' and 'up and down the street' (or 'up and down the square' if you like that kind of thing) and that is where it starts. For me, that is when the fever kicks in and stuff needs to get finished. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

May 08, 2021, 11:40:56 AMReply #106 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
Just waiting ona rear tyre, it's ordered & should be here today. My friendly bike mechnic will fit the tyres as soon as I get them, so won't be long now.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

May 09, 2021, 03:00:12 AMReply #107 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    10.44%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
I hope it's not the same "mechanic" that refused to plug that pinhole in your other Angel ST  :augie

:new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

May 09, 2021, 10:20:15 PMReply #108 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
That wasn't a mechanic  it was a little boy pretending to be one & working in a rather large local dealership 😃

My tame mechanic is a little better than that  :thumbsup
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

May 13, 2021, 11:33:55 AMReply #109 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Update on my rear tyre, not happy.

While looking around for a rear tyre, the Trophy rear wheel being 18", there wasn't a great choice, so after much looking around on line, I had three suppliers, Demon Tweeks, M&P and some other one which I can't remember now, the Visor shop I think it was. Of the three, M&P was the only one not advising they were out of stock but would have them in within 14 days - so I ordered from M&P.

Now M&P and I have history. The first time I used them to buy an air filter for a Blackbird, they sent me one for a fuel injected one, not a Carbed one. Apparently this was my fault, even though I provided the reg number. The restock fee, as it was my fault was almost as much as the filter. I vowed not to use them again, especially as they didn't even have the decency to respond to my complaint. 10 years later I relented & bought a chain & sprocket set, they sent me the wrong chain, but at least they replaced it with the correct one.

A few more years, I order a new rear tyre from them. Within 2 days I get an email saying the tyre was out of stock but they were due a delivery by 6th May. Yesterday, I emailed them for an update as still no tyre - the resopnse?

They are 'hoping' for a delivery on 21st May, 17 days after I ordered a suposedly in stock item.

Should I ever mention buying something from M&P again, someone please slap me  :cp

May 13, 2021, 12:35:13 PMReply #110 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    10.44%
  • Max the Moderator
I've not used them a lot but agree, their "support" can be very hit and miss  :icon_rolleyes:

Please don't start me on the 4 wheeled equivalent "Eurocarparts Online"  :BangHead
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

May 13, 2021, 07:27:00 PMReply #111 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
That's a close call, they're both pretty much at the bottom of my list now.

May 15, 2021, 10:10:30 AMReply #112 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    9.33%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
I'd cancel the order and find a new supplier...
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

May 15, 2021, 12:02:52 PMReply #113 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
I would but M&P are notorious for not refunding anything while there's an outside chance of fulfilling the order, even if it takes 6+ weeks (now I've read some of the reviews).

It's supposedly only a week away from delivery now, so I think I'll hang on.  Not an ideal situation I agree,

May 18, 2021, 04:52:39 PMReply #114 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Had a little free time at the weekend, well not exactly 'free' but needed an excuse to not do gardening.

Off in to the garage I went to see what mischief I could get up to. Some may recall that many moons ago I bought a few bits off eBay, intending to make my own chain oiler and with Tabitha still on the bench, she was the lucky winner of the home made oiler.

First off was identifying where I could place the solenoid valve, which I tucked behind the rear bodywork, above the rear footpeg hanger. Next up was placing the small plastic bottle I nicked from my OH's hair dye box. Before that, I wanted to attach a tube to a suitable place so I could refill it without having to take the body panels off as I intended to put the 'reservoir' as I'm now calling it just in front of the indicator bracket.

For the delivery system, which is still a work in progress, I found an old Scotoiler needle which I inserted into the plastic delivery tube. It fits perfect. If I hadn't got one of those, I have an old Bic pen refill that's empty of ink & was going to use that.

Plastic tube all cut roughly to length, from the delivery point to just below the rear footpeg hanger & that's where I placed a small plastic aquarium airflow tap. this then was connected to the outflow of the solenoid valve. the inflow was connected by more plastic tube to the reservoir & everything was roughly positioned.

The -ve wire of the solenoid valve was connected to earth and the +ve, via an extension to a live feed that connects to the indicator relay, after I checked that it's only powered when the ignition is on.

A bit more adjustment, then I filled up the reservoir enough to prime everything and set about adjusting the flow tap. Took a while but managed to get it dripping (with the ignition on) at around one drip every 90 seconds. Switch the ignition off and the drips stopped, although not immediately. I did count a further two drips before it stopped completely.

It's not perfect and it remains to be seen how effective it is once Tabitha is on the road.

I'll try to get some pictures later in the week.

May 20, 2021, 04:57:47 PMReply #115 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    10.44%
  • Max the Moderator
You don't want drips on your nice new tyre  :augie

May 29, 2021, 09:50:02 AMReply #116 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Firstly, photos of my home made chain oiler have been uploaded to the 'Toys & Farkles' section, so I won't duplicate them here.

Now for Tabitha's update.

I only have 3 jobs left to do (fingers crossed).
  • Start her up
  • take her for an MOT

Yes, she's almost there. I had the new tyres fitted yesterday after M&P finally delivered, 24 days after I ordered a tyre that was supposedly in stock. It only took 2 emails and a phone call.

Not wishing to knock M&P, but over 16 years I've ordered from them 4 times & I've had problems with them on three of those orders.

So, with the tyres fitted and all the bodywork on, al be it prematurely as I'll need to remove some of it to balance the carbs, she's looking likea complete bike after many years languishing in someone's back garden.

I'm going to pull her off the bench & out in to the open this weekend, give her a wash & see if she'll start.

I'll let you know how I get on.

May 30, 2021, 01:13:30 AMReply #117 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    10.44%
  • Max the Moderator

May 30, 2021, 10:17:11 AMReply #118 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    9.33%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
And? And?

AND???

:qgreenjumpers

May 30, 2021, 12:44:08 PMReply #119 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.78%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Patience, patience...

I rolled her out of the garage yesterday and gave her a final check over, nuts, bolts, brake lines etc. just to make sure there was nothng obvoiusly amiss. Sat astride her for the first time & marvelled at how different she was to the Tiger, and how low the seating position was.

Gave her a good dusting down, was surprised at how much dust and more spider poo there was on the fairing, so cleaned her up & polished the bodywork again.

Then...

wheeled her back in the garage again.   :*&*

I have a family event to go to later today but all being well I'll try starting her up tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal