Author Topic: Tabitha 1200  (Read 6223 times)

June 07, 2021, 03:28:08 PMReply #135 on

Online ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
You might want to pull the plugs and see what they look like. If it is rich, you will be able to see it. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

June 07, 2021, 06:57:11 PMReply #136 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
We have a solution. New carb rubbers on their way and it's just as well.

Took the carbs off this afternoon, not the easiest of jobs, but the carb to engine rubbers for both cyl 3 & 4 were split, noticeably so. Can't think why I missed it when I put the carbs back all those months ago but at least I now know what the problem was.

Whether I have time to put everything back together again this week is anyones guess but looking at my work diary, I doubt it.

Watch this space  :icon_biggrin:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

June 08, 2021, 12:24:01 AMReply #137 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
I wouldn't feel embarrassed, it's easy to miss, done it myself and often a small hard to see split gets worse while trying to refit the carbs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

June 08, 2021, 12:58:26 AMReply #138 on

Online ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

June 10, 2021, 08:36:43 PMReply #139 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
One step forward, three, maybe four back!

Had a little time on Tuesday so whipped the carbs off & replaced the rubbers. Just as I was about to put the carbs back, I dropped a screw. Couldn't find it anywhere but finished putting the carbs on anyway. Over night I thought "what if the screw fell in to our inlet port.

Wednesday off come the carbs again & out with the endoscope. A good root around & I still couldn't find it. Swept the drive & went over the dust pile with a magnet, found a washer. Looked around the starter, clutch slave & everywhere with a torch. After nearly 2 hours I found it. It was resting on top of cyl 2 inlet port. Put the carbs back on & left it for the evening.

Today, I finished connecting everything up & expecting to balance the carbs again, fired her up.

Running on 3. Checked all electrical connectors, tried again. Success, it started but was rough as a badgers ar#e. Then it settled down to idle at 3500rpm The idle screw did nothing & the vacuum gauges were all over the place. Either it was 3500 or stall.

Off come the carbs again to find the air mix screws were all different.

Had enough now so will have another go at the weekend.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

June 10, 2021, 08:43:10 PMReply #140 on

Offline London_Phil

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0.22%
  • '12 800XC ABS Orange. of course.
Carbs were what finally did for me and my Steamer. If left for more than a week, it would only run with choke out, and had to be ridden for 10-15 miles before the jets would clear, sometimes the just didn't. Got fed up with faffing around in the end.
If your sure everything is as it should be assembly wise, try to ride it a few miles, and see if it improves as its used. The new fuels are less and less carb freindly..

June 10, 2021, 09:17:25 PMReply #141 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
Carbs were cleaned & rebuilt by a Triumph mechanic so I've every confidence in them. Can't ride it as no insurance, so gonna have to keep trying. Aside from a split carbs rubber I had it ticking over nicely last week. I think the weak point in this is me.

June 11, 2021, 01:36:21 AMReply #142 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Max the Moderator
 :bug_eye that was a close call. It's possible that the differences in the idle screws were an effect of trying to get it balanced and running smoothly with leaky rubbers.

I hear you Phil, not a fan of carbs with modern fuel. Never had a problem out east as I was riding everyday but they were always giving problems in Scotland, no matter how careful I was about flushing out with additive and draining the carbs if left for any length of time. I just resigned myself to running rough until the cleared themselves.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

June 11, 2021, 08:35:03 AMReply #143 on

Online ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Close call indeed! I bet you are happy you spent those hours digging around!

Carbs and I are not a match either. Well, not on the Ducati anyway. No trouble on the Tiger or the Suzuki DR800 I used to have. Not sure why it is going so wrong on the Duc, but I guess it just adds to the flavour... Never had any rough running problems with the carbs on my steamer though.

June 11, 2021, 09:52:10 AMReply #144 on

Offline London_Phil

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0.22%
  • '12 800XC ABS Orange. of course.
I had same problem with both Mikunis and Keihins on my Steamer. I swapped the Mikunis thinking it would help. It made little difference.
Different petrol stations didn't help.
Damp garage possibly didn't help, but happened in summer too.
Re Tabitha, even if a Triumph mechanic cleaned them, if they are gumming up, it makes no difference to the issue..

June 12, 2021, 12:47:44 PMReply #145 on

Offline Bixxer Bob

• Auditor of Reality
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
  • I make the mistakes so you don't have to.....
  • Bike model currently owned: 2013 Exploder
Yes to all of that, based on the VFR I spend most of my time swearing at.

Latest issue, and it relates directly to what you're doing, is very fine brown sediment (obviously from a clean looking 35 yr old tank) that is too fine to see in the fuel.  It clogs the carbs if you let it get that far, but also clogs the fuel filter which is fitted as standard.  I'm currently getting through one Ebay filter every 10-12 hrs of running.

For track use its a small cost now I know about it, but it would be unacceptable for road use.  I have a washable filter that I was using on the FZ to solve the same problem, but it won't fit in the available space so I'm looking for a smaller one.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

June 17, 2021, 11:01:23 PMReply #146 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
All sorted & running nicely. Over night, well about 2.30am, it struck me that with the choke on, it runs at around 3500rpm, so maybe the choke plungers are sticking. I have a chat with my tame Triumph mechanic, explaining the symptoms & he thought the same.

Off come the carbs again to run them over to his workshop. I lay them carefully on a cloth and notice one butterfly doesn't look quite the same as the others. 1, 3 & 4 were shut while there was a thin black line noticeable under the butterfly on carb 2. Enough to push the revs up. A quick adjustment, carbs back on& balanced up within an hour.

Just have to find some bolts for the bottom of the fairing, a good clean & polish & fingers crossed, Tabitha is ready for her appointment with Mr MOT 😀

That is after I insure her.

June 17, 2021, 11:55:59 PMReply #147 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Max the Moderator

June 18, 2021, 11:49:35 AMReply #148 on

Online ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Nice! And you beat me to it. ;)

June 18, 2021, 03:32:21 PMReply #149 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
Not yet I haven't. Still got to get it out on the road  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal