Author Topic: Tabitha 1200  (Read 6136 times)

July 31, 2021, 12:22:36 AMReply #165 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
  :notworthy well done  :><

I suspect the return spring struggles with 4 butterflies compared to the triples, I also feel the throttle cable is a bit on the short side with the higher bars, I haven't looked into that yet but I was going to try a Steamer cable for comparison. I wouldn't rule out a rusty throttle cable, I've had two apart recently that were pretty bad, when did you last here anyone talk about lubricating their throttle cable  :^_^ . The more modern ones tend to be PTFE or Nylon lined but some originals I've opened didn't have a liner.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

July 31, 2021, 11:10:58 AMReply #166 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
Replaced the throttle cable and made sure there were no snags lock to lock before I put the tank back on. The throttle control is as snappy as a mouse trap.

I'm going to check the fuel tap vacuum pipe as I didn't replace it & its probably 28 years old, althouygh there seems to be no issue with fuelling to the carbs, not on reserve anyway, haven't had enough fuel in the tank to take it off reserve yet.

Once I've checked all the various rubber bits are seated correctly and if the revs are still hanging, I'm probably going to take the bike somewhere to have the carbs sorted properly. Although I've set the air idle screws to 2 1/2 turns and balanced the carbs as best I can, the idle adjustment screw doesn't lower the idle beyond around 1100rpm, so I suspect when I balanced the carbs, I may not have done a thorough job. I know carbs are my weak spot, so I'm not too concerned.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

August 07, 2021, 11:09:33 AMReply #167 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
A quick update

While riding Tabitha the other day, something, aside form the carbs, seemed off. The screen seemed to be resting at a strange angle. I didn't notice it when taking her for an MOT, probably because the weather made it hard enough to see the road let alone marvel at the bikes aesthetics.

A quick inspection showed that the whole nose cone was tilting at a rather jaunty angle, so back on the bench she goes & off with Tabitha's clothes.

Turns out the nose cone frame was twisted and one of the bolts holding the radiator to the frame was cross threadded (how I missed this when I had her stripped down is anyone's guess.

Out comes the taps & 10 minutes sees the bolt hole re-tapped and the bolt threads cleaned up. another 5 minutes to straighten the frame & all was good. Took me a couple of hours in total but all seems well again.

While she was on the bench, I also replaced the fuel tap vacuum hose & rechecked all the various rubber bits atached to the carbs. I'm now convinced that I messed up when balancing the carbs, so she's off to my tame Triumph mechanic in a couple of weeks for him to balance them corectly.

After that, all should be well in the world of Tabitha   :icon_mrgreen:

Yes, I know - the pics loaded up sideways - click on them & they should open up the right way around.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

August 07, 2021, 12:31:20 PMReply #168 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Looking good  :thumbsup

Wonky subframes are easy to miss until it's fully dressed, lost count of the Steamer ones that looked fine until I sat them on a flat surface and a challenge to figure out exactly where it's bent  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

August 24, 2021, 09:24:18 PMReply #169 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
I was passed by a Trophy when I drove back home last week. It instantly reminded me of Tabitha and I was wondering what was happening. So, I now see that I should have checked earlier. Congrats on the MOT. That is great. The nose cone is an interesting story. I know I saw a bit of rope on the front of my old Tiger and wondered where that came from. After a bit of looking around, it turned out that the whole frame was bent beyond belief (and repair). The rope held the whole thing together. I only really found that out when I wanted to change the speedo that had broken and then found that everything behind it was basically broken and fiberglassed up. So that took me a week or two to sort parts and get the whole thing back together. But there is a big reward once it is done. Just like with you. :)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

August 25, 2021, 10:19:20 AMReply #170 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
Tabitha is currently siting covered in the garage while I await the return from holiday of my tame mechanic who is going to balance the carbs. I've had two goes now & just can't get it right.

She runs and rides, I took her out last week for a short 10 mile ride, but the idle being around 1500 - 2000rpm oncve warmed up is not fun.

On another note, I was sorely tempted by another 1993 1200 Trophy (in green) that has come up for sale, which I think I could get for a reasonable price. Had a lot of work done to it but for some reason just doesn't want to run properly. 60,000 miles and on its second engine, but lots of new parts including coils.

The downside is its green (not had a lot of luck with green vehicles so tend to steer clear of them now) and I suspect the better half would have a fit of she came home to find yet another bike in the garage.

August 25, 2021, 10:10:18 PMReply #171 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
That's easily sorted, don't let her in the garage  :mut

I don't think the colour would have made any difference to past life bodgers who've previously owned my BRG one  :icon_evil: I've recently learned more about Showa and Kayaba forks of the period fitted to T300's than I really ever wanted to know :icon_scratch:

In my opinion, anyone who tries to "polish" fork tubes by using wet and dry on the chrome in a longitudinal direction is a ............ well the action used is a perfect analogy to the mentality  :nod

Anyway, in recognition of your efforts, here is a period brochure page, the headline for the text is very appropriate I think  ;)

September 08, 2021, 08:05:07 PMReply #172 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
I've finally given up on Tabitha's carbs & dropped her off to my local mechanic this afternoon to sort out (I may have mentioned Carbs are not my strong point). He's going to balance them properly instead of my half assed attempt (x3) so she should be all good to go next week - just in time for the weather to turn.

Just as well I have Tallulah Tiger Lily to ride.

On a more positive  note, the one remaining untested part of Tabitha was the radiator fan. I knew it worked when I jumped the connector but didn't know if the temperature unit actually worked as it never got that hot while balancing the carbs in the garage.

I can now confirm that works too, so the only think not now working is me. 29oC here today & while riding along main roads was not a problem, riding through the village at school kicking out time had the temp increasing in no time. While there were many 'yummy mummies' to peruse, I'm talking about Tabitha's temperature rising, not mine (much) :XXsunsmile

September 09, 2021, 01:48:49 AMReply #173 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    2.44%
  • Max the Moderator
 :thumbsup  :new_popcornsmiley

One of my least favourite jobs is carb work and it was a dark day when Triumph sub contracted the air box design to the Marquis de Sade  :icon_evil:

September 09, 2021, 02:04:40 PMReply #174 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
I've finally given up on Tabitha's carbs & dropped her off to my local mechanic this afternoon to sort out (I may have mentioned Carbs are not my strong point).
:thumbsup

I have just booked the Ducati in for carbsury (surgery on carbs?) for the 28th. Same reason. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

September 09, 2021, 05:51:27 PMReply #175 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    2.67%
  • Who says you can't?
    • My Triumphs & Me
:thumbsup

I have just booked the Ducati in for carbsury (surgery on carbs?) for the 28th. Same reason. ;)

I was going to ask what was happening to your Ducati.

It could still end up in a tie as I'm away on holiday from next week until 28th   :occasion14

September 10, 2021, 08:38:01 AMReply #176 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Oh, that tension...   :bug_eye

So, it all depends on when exactly you can go and pick up yours and when I can pick up mine. It is all out of our hands...

September 12, 2021, 03:28:10 AMReply #177 on

Offline ssevy

• Mod Squad
  • Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
I’ve had good luck rebuilding carbs, but the Mikuni float setup is very fragile, and you have to treat them like a 90-year-old with brittle bones!
The other pain in the ass is the number of different sizes of o-rings in them is just ridiculous (I suspect the designer’s brother-in-law had an o-ring factory).
Still, when you consider how well they actually work, carbs are really quite an impressive piece of engineering. I regularly get over 40 mpg, even heavily packed on my trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

September 14, 2021, 07:55:24 PMReply #178 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Cheetah
  • Activity Meter:
    4%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Hahahaha, my Ducati has Mikuni as well… Does that send a message?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal