News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bearings

Started by Lee337, January 20, 2021, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

Was all set to take the Tiger out tomorrow (Thursday) for a nice little run. Yes, I know we're in lockdown, but it was for a good cause. I volunteer for Volunteer Riders UK & was due to deliver some PPE.

Thought I'd give it a quick once over, you know, the usual tyres, chain, lights, battery, the sort of thing you do when not used for 4 weeks.

Was in the process of checking the tyre pressure when I noticed a slight wobble in the rear wheel. Sure enough, one of the bearings had failed. I suppose at 64k miles, it's not that surprising.

New bearings & dust seals on order but I'll have to take the car now instead.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Tiger-G

Hi mate,

Hope you ordered some decent branded bearings, as I've had a nightmare with the cheaper generic ones wearing out well before their time ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

At least it's not a bigger or expensive repair since you caught it in time. Regular checks did the job  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

I used these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/showeperformance

Very happy with the service, and good quality brands.

Lee337

Wish I'd known that before I went Wemoto. Never mind, I ordered last night but will keep them in mind should I need more.

I got the headrace bearings from Wemoto and although not the cheapest, I can't fault them.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Bixxer Bob

I use Simplybearings for everything. You can get the cheap sort (nope) or NSK usually. Bikes, washing machines etc all you need is the inner, outer and thickness dimensions.   They do a vast range of seals too. I thought I'd struggle to get blind seals for a gearbox recently, but no, they had them in stock.  Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I got a bearing and seals for the Girly rear shock from them too.  The website is well worth a look, if only to store for future reference.

And no, I'm not on commission  :icon_smile:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tiger-G

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 20, 2021, 08:54:09 PM
I use Simplybearings for everything. You can get the cheap sort (nope) or NSK usually. Bikes, washing machines etc all you need is the inner, outer and thickness dimensions.   They do a vast range of seals too. I thought I'd struggle to get blind seals for a gearbox recently, but no, they had them in stock.  Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I got a bearing and seals for the Girly rear shock from them too.  The website is well worth a look, if only to store for future reference.

And no, I'm not on commission  :icon_smile:

I'll second that Bob, they are brilliant. Great advice, top notch branded bearings (not fakes of branded bearings), cheap prices, etc.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

metalguru

Simply Bearings gets a thumbs up from me too.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Lee337

Bearings from Wemoto arrived in the post today, looks like I'll be playing in the man cave this weekend. If I'm lucky I can string out the job for a couple of hours while the Mrs is dong the housework.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on January 20, 2021, 12:20:30 PM
I used these guys

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/showeperformance

Very happy with the service, and good quality brands.

I've recently had bearing and seal sets from them too  :thumbsup best combined price I could find for genuine Koyo kit.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint