News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My ex-Steamer

Started by ghulst, January 21, 2021, 06:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

And then I got an offer to buy a BMW R1150GS. A bike that I had always wanted after watching Long Way Round and Long Way down. So, I could not let that opportunity go. And then someone offered me more than twice what I had spent on the Tiger...

And so the Tiger found a new home. I still remember it fondly though. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

Love it. Every steamer has a long story to tell. :occasion14
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on January 21, 2021, 07:49:06 PM
Love it. Every steamer has a long story to tell. :occasion14
This one is a particularly long story. Oh, and you were part of it as well. ;)

Sin_Tiger

Rings bells now, front subframe  :icon_scratch: that I didn't have.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 21, 2021, 10:33:59 PM
Rings bells now, front subframe  :icon_scratch: that I didn't have.
Yes! Indeed. We did exchange messages about that. :)

Back then, only fragments of the story landed on this forum, so I thought it would be nice to have all of it together here. ;)

93TigerBill-2016

Nice story.
Still like the early '93s with the body-coloured side cases.

When my front sub-frame failed - for the second time - I luckily had friends with advanced TIG welding skills, so fitted many gussets all over the frame to ensure integrity.  Has been that way now for many years.  Did the same thing with the centrestand, again holds up well.
I also fitted the lowered footpegs from Mustang (RIP), toes occasionally touch down, but there's quite a lean by then anyway.
While I have an excess of 'bikes, methinks the Blue Steamer will be the last to go.

No. 1 son always jokes that he'll be turning up at my funeral with a shovel, as he believes I'll be buried on the Steamer.......
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

ghulst

This topic has grown into a great discussion on home-built and other chain oilers, so I decided to split it to keep everything on topic and findable if someone would search for info on chain oilers. ;)

You can find it here: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=17035.0