News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tallulah's Diary

Started by Lee337, January 24, 2021, 01:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

I still use regular old-style batteries on my bikes and keep them conditioned with C-Tek's and they haven't really failed me yet. And at that price, it is easy to change them out when they go doubtful. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Out & about today, 24c and the fan was on pretty much every time I dropped below 40mph. Glad I changed the battery when I did - absolutely no problems restarting each time I stopped for fuel for either me or Tallulah.

Only 114 miles but it was good to get out.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Dug mine out from the back of the garage today still runs like a good'un.

Lee337

Know what you mean, not touched mine since the begining of June as I've been getting Tabitha running or taking Mrs L out in the SLK.

Pulled Tallulah out yesterday, started at the first touch of the button.

Still didn't take her anywhere though & got Mrs L's car to service today  :icon_sad:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Lee337

A long time since I've done anything to Tallulah except ride her. Lots of little jobs to do but as I've been riding Tabitha recently, I'm afraid I've been neglecting Tallulah.

Over the past few months I've been working towards my advanced motorcycle test & while I've been doing the basic checks, tyres, chain & lights, I've done little else.

I have an assessment ride this evening so pulled her out of the back of the garage, hit the start button and she was a little slow to turn over to say the least. She had a new battery around 6 months ago but she's been sitting in ther garage, unused for the past 4 weeks apart from starting her up to move her back in again whenever I've had to move her out into the sunshine.

Just in case, I checked the reg/rec and all is well, so it's just no riding but starting & stopping the engine a few times since my last good ride.

I also checked the tyre pressures 36/42 which were down a couple of PSI each. that may be something to do with the last time I checked them it was 20c + and today its barely hitting 12c.

For a while, the fuel cap has been loose, not the ring that attaches it to the tank but the hinge itaelf. It can make it a little difficult to close occasionally. I took the whole fuel filler off the tank & had it apart but it seems there's no way to tighten up the hinge so I'll have to live with it or buy a bew fuel filler & change the locks.

While the filler cap was off I thought I'd check the drain holes too. I have a piece of strimmer line that I used last week to unblock the sunroof drain on my car & it's just the right tool for this job too.

So, tyres checked, electrics checked, chain oiled, fuel tank vent & drain checked and battery charged.

Looks like I'm all ready to go - if I can find somewhere to buy fuel.

:occasion14

Sin_Tiger

I haven't seen a queue at a petrol station yet but I have only been out of the house once in the last 10 days  :icon_lol:

It's supposed to be 20C up here tomorrow  :icon_scratch: better check my tyres aren't about to burst as it was 8C yesterday  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 07, 2021, 01:15:05 AM

It's supposed to be 20C up here tomorrow  :icon_scratch: better check my tyres aren't about to burst as it was 8C yesterday  :icon_rolleyes:

So that'll be WARM rain then?  :*&*
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 08, 2021, 05:18:31 AM
So that'll be WARM rain then?  :*&*

:nod

How was it after having ridden the Trophy?

Lee337

Odd to say the least. The power delivery & lower centre of gravity of the Trophy was leading me to ride a bit quicker, so it took a good 1/2 hour to readjust.

ghulst

It is so funny how different bikes can feel. I had that when I got on the Ducati. That really does take quite some time to adjust to in comparison to the Tiger or the GS.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

At one point, I had two Tigers, my silver 06 and a blue 05. there was around 60,000 miles difference between the two and the blue (126,000 miles) one had road tyres compared to Tallulah that has 90/10 tyres. I rode them back to back just the once before I sold the blue one and there was a marked difference between the two.

Even with 100% road tyres, the blue one didn't inspire that much confidence, felt far more 'loose' on corners, the suspension was bouncier, on the back and there was more dive on the front. I rebuilt the brakes & changed all the fluids & the brakes were the only thing that was about the same. the blue one even felt lower. I suspect the shot suspension had a lot to do with that.

So even two supposedly identical bikes can feel & ride differently

Sin_Tiger

Steamers are no different, please don't ask me how I can say that, it's embarrassing  :icon_redface:

Lee337

The day dawned to the sound of falling rain lightly tapping at the window. Outside it was still dark, the darkness interrupted every now & then by a car driving past the house, it's unknown occupant on their way to another days work.

I stirred, turned over & heard the Yowling of my deaf cat downstairs. Clearly it was time to get up, feed her & make myself some breakfast.

Even though it was raining, the forecast was for rain to clear by midday. This was good as I had Tallulah booked in for her annual checkup.

The day before I had pulled her out of the garage and conducted my usual pre-MOT checks, lights, brakes - pads and operation, bearings etc. I'd checked the tyre pressures, adjusted the chain and then out came the bucket & sponge to give her the clean a 15 year old Tiger deserves to keep her looking pretty.

I glanced at the forecast again, Tallulah had her appointment at 13.45 and things were looking good. the sky was clearing and as the warmth of the sun touched the roads, there was a whisp of steam visible, rising into the morning air.

13.05 and it was time to get ready and it was time to get myself ready for the 15 minute ride to destiny.

From out of nowhere, there was a rumble from outside, usually I would put this down to a tractor thundering past the house, but something inside me said 'NOT THIS TIME SONNY' I looked out of the window to be rewarded by a bright flash, another rumble, this time much louder and the accompanying hail bouncing off the drive.

Bugger :BangHead

In the past year, I've MOT'd 3 bikes and every time the weather has been horrendous. I thought today might be different but no, p1$$ing down out there and it started almost the same time I styepped out of the door to get Tallulah out of the garage.

This was not going to stop me, I mounted Tallualah (ooh er!) & set off for the MOT station.

As I turned in to the yard, I felt a slight drag - Talluylah didn't seem quite as responsive as she usually is after not missing a beat on the 6 mile trip, but she was still running. I had visions of her breaking down, something she's only done once since I've owned her. Oddly, that was at last year's MOT when the battery gave out & we had to use a battery pack to get her going again.

Could lightening strike twice?

The answer to that question is yes! They say there's no excuse for a bike failing an MOT as long as you keep up with maintenance.

The rear brake was binding. It wasn't when I set off, it wasn't on the journey to the MOT station and the two 'Mud on road' signs outside a couple of farms I passed were without incident, except for a small slide from the rear wheel, not much, just enough to feel it but not enough time for me to react. Tallulah sorted that one out without my input.

So, MOT failed and she's now back home awaiting some TLC before I take her back within the next couple of days for a retest.

On the plus side, by the time I got the the MOT station, it had stopped raining, the sun came out again and the ride home was completed in a little more comfort than the journey out.  :*