News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

That question. But with a twist.

Started by Nick Calne, January 30, 2021, 07:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Having come to the conclusion some time ago that a steamer should never leave the tarmac I have been progressively using more and more road focused tyres.  More recently with it becoming a second bike in its old age it doesn't have to cover much mileage. Perhaps just 1000m/year.

Which opens up the tyre debate again. :icon_rolleyes:

What might now be appropriate is a set of road only, slightly sticky rubber...can you recommend anything specific.  What would be really interesting would be a tyre developed for road bikes rather than adv bikes that had a 19" size option.

Gentlemen your wisdom and thoughts please. :occasion14
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

93TigerBill-2016

Hi Nick,
Same predicament - olde Steamer as a second 'bike, much less use now with the 800XC.

I would suggest Michelin Anakee Adventure - I'm amazed at how confidence-inspiring they are on the 800XC, and (to me anyway) the 'feel' of the Steamer and the newer bike are very similar.  And they look the part as well!
For a pure road tyre(tire?), I'd go the Michelin Road 5's. MHOO (My Humble Opinion Only)
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

ghulst

Over the years, I have found that I am not using my bikes offroad much at all. Obviously not helped by the fact that there is no decent on-paved road within an hour of my house, I find that I really just use my bike on the road. Though that can occasionally include a gravel road at moderate speeds.
Anyway, for the Steamer I went with Michelin's Anakee III. I found that to be fantastic rubber for the bike. Nice and grippy and with enough thread when the weather throws all its water at you.

The 800XC is on Conti TrailAttack's which I am pretty happy with as well. Before I took the road trip to Luxembourg the front tire was just about gone, but the rear was fine. So, I decided to not throw out the rear tire and go for Anakee III's, but to just put a matching front on. And that has suited me well so far.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

No experience and haven't even checked sizes but I was looking at Avon Storm 3D a few days ago, reasonably priced and decent reviews for longevity and wet usage.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

On the Girly and the Explorer I've been using Pirelli Scorpion Trail and Trail 2s. Had about six sets now and see no reason to switch from something i trust.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Thanks chaps. Looking at the options presented the road 5 tyres do come in a 19 front and may well be what I am looking for. I'll need to go with an outex kit too as they are tubeless only.

We'll see, I have a month or so before I need to flash the cash.

Incidentally if you ever need a good 50/50 tyre the mitas e07 is epic.

ghulst

Mitas is a lot better than I gave them credit for. Loved the C02 on my Transalp as well. I would never run it on a bigger bike and I would most definitely never (again) run it on a bike used on the street, but that does grip offroad. ;)

ssevy

Shinko 705's for the win!
Seriously, I also thought about trying something else, but here in the Adirondacks the roads and weather can be crap, and I have never had one of these slide out on me unless it was on a tar snake. I get good longevity on this big lump of a bike, and at about half the cost of the other tires mentioned here, they are truly a bargain. They are confidence inspiring, and I never worry about my grip regardless of the weather, and I have dragged the pegs, although the banking of the road may have had something to do with that ;)
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

Good shout, I'd forgotten about those, not as common over here though.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

I have always wanted to try a pair of Shinko's after a good review by a friend. However, they aren't offered anywhere here and so I doubt they are legal for our roads... :(

ssevy

Too bad about the availability. My last front was about $90, and my last rear was $95. I'm getting about 7500 miles from the rears, and I do two rear changes for every front change.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mart

I'm thinking of trying some Avon Roadrider MkII's on my Steamer. Front size is 100/90 x 19, and the rear 150/70 x 17. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nick Calne

badrooster

+1 one on the shinko 705. Excellent pavement and mild off road performance (girly, steamer and ktm 990). At 140$ a pair, they can't be beat  :wheel

Mart

Well, I finally got round to fitting a pair of Avon Road Rider MkII's.   
Obviously, compared to a pair of knackered Anakee III's, the new tyres feel great.  Nice, linear turn-in, and inspire plenty of confidence.  Roll on the spring...