News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Wheels on a Steamer

Started by Belco100, March 23, 2021, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belco100

As the Subject says, can you put Girly wheels straight into a Steamer?

I fancy a set of 955i mag wheels in black.

Nick Calne

I don't think so.  There have been plenty of attempts to do this type of thing in the past using a range of similar triumph parts. Try the search button. You should get lots of threads. I know one member here GavD did his very well.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

It has been done many times and I'm not claiming expertise, I've not done it myself.

The following is just off the top of my head, where the hair used to be. There are a few things to be aware of :-
Distance between the faces on the fork bottoms, you may need to get a specific set of spacers machined.
The speedo drive on the alloy rims is on the right rather than on the left.
If you decide to go 17" front the speedo gearing will be different, I seem to remember the gear set in the drive is where the difference is rather than the instrument but I'd have to check that.
I think you might have to have caliper adaptors made depending on which brake caliper / disc combination you decide to use, there are a few options.
I think some previous modifiers have swapped the fork bottoms from T300's to make things simpler but I'm less sure of that.
The rear end is simpler with more commonality to T300's
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: Belco100 on March 23, 2021, 02:36:50 PM
As the Subject says, can you put Girly wheels straight into a Steamer?

I fancy a set of 955i mag wheels in black.

Blimey I thought I was the only lunatic...as if you haven't got enough going on with your X/R....

I'd do a search for a set of Dymags, I know for sure they did them and I saw a steamer with them and a far more straight forward option, I did the same with my 955 and put the wire wheels in the loft...

Belco100

Hi Chris - I promise I am not following you around  :ImaPoser. I forgot you had a Tiger in your garage - and a Steamer before that years ago.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Belco100 on March 23, 2021, 10:50:03 PM
Hi Chris - I promise I am not following you around  :ImaPoser. I forgot you had a Tiger in your garage - and a Steamer before that years ago.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with a load of Sprint bits I seem to have a accumulated  :m
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Belco100

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 23, 2021, 10:16:43 PM
It has been done many times and I'm not claiming expertise, I've not done it myself.

The following is just off the top of my head, where the hair used to be. There are a few things to be aware of :-
Distance between the faces on the fork bottoms, you may need to get a specific set of spacers machined.
The speedo drive on the alloy rims is on the right rather than on the left.
If you decide to go 17" front the speedo gearing will be different, I seem to remember the gear set in the drive is where the difference is rather than the instrument but I'd have to check that.
I think you might have to have caliper adaptors made depending on which brake caliper / disc combination you decide to use, there are a few options.
I think some previous modifiers have swapped the fork bottoms from T300's to make things simpler but I'm less sure of that.
The rear end is simpler with more commonality to T300's

Thanks Sin_Tiger.

Chris Canning

If you do a search via Google brings you back here in 2004..and talk about some early mag wheels off other Triumphs that might be an option.

Belco100

A slight change in direction. I have managed to get a set of Daytona/Sprint 17" three spoke wheels complete. I already had a set of forks of a 1000 Daytona which are the longest of the standard T3 models, a set of Sprint yokes and a pair of 6 pot callipers from a Hayubusa. Will start looking at putting them altogether and fitting them.

I should end up with forks that don't dive to much, tyres without inner tubes and brakes that slow it down quicker! That's the plan anyway. All interchangeable, so if doesn't work I will just swap back.

Sin_Tiger

Coming together nicely, those Tona 1000 forks will be very rare items  :love10 and having the larger "floating" discs will help too.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Tokico 6 pots, on paper they should perform like the Alcon 6 pots and you have experience of those  ;) Will you shave the raised Tokico off?

The other mod you might want to consider is fitting the 5/8" master cylinder in place of the 14mm standard one, they were fitted to later Trophy's, Sprint's and Daytona's.

I just received a pair of reach and length adjustable, folding levers from out east. They are listed for the Explorer's but on checking the fitting is the same for the T3/400's and fondling offering them up to the master cylinders briefly they fit perfectly and I think should fit inside the hand guards without modification, unlike the T300 adjustable levers. Quality and finish is very nice with all SUS fittings, miles better than some I've seen and for £30  :wings