News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The search

Started by ghulst, May 07, 2021, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Just in case all of you were wondering where I had gone... Over the past eight weeks, I have been researching a new toy. I have a large double cab van for our daily driving, but I often have at least one car extra to play with. Last year that was a Mini Cooper S R53 with a facelift supercharger and enough work done on it to give it 220hp reliably. Well, as reliably as you can with a Mini Cooper S. ;) Anyway, with its rock hard full circuit suspension and great power delivery, that car was a wonderful tool for track days and spirited driving. Well, you can guess where this is going. Obviously, with corona, there were no track days in NL and the ones outside of NL I couldn't get to due to regulations. At the same time, I found myself doubting whether I really wanted to point this missile down the local backroads to the tune of 100Mph. It seemed somewhat anti-social. So, reasoning set in and I sold it and went to look for something else. I tried a Golf R32 and an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, but both would have ended up giving me the same problem. So, when I walked on a friends forecourt I saw an old Saab convertible and took it for a spin. That did it. I needed a convertible in my life. However, not that bog standard and slow one. So, after weeks of driving various models with various engines, I ended up with a 2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen. A special edition by Saab of which only 4600 were ever produced worldwide. Mine is still completely standard with 230hp, but will soon join the modified corner with around 260hp and 400Nm. That might be enough for me. We'll see. The Saab currently is on the original Viggen wheels, but a set of limited edition 17" Hirsch wheels is being powder coated to give it a better look. And then you know the wallet is going to hurt. But this is such a fun car to drive. I am really enjoying my time with this one. ;)

2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Quite under rated other than by those in the know. The best thing about that era SAAB's is you can drive 500 km and get out feeling like you'd just been to the local shop for 2 litres of milk. There's a lot of good stuff out there supporting mods (some quite outrageous), if you haven't come across Trionic7 yet, it's worth a look.  :icon_cool:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

Quite amazing what a convertable can do for the soul.

Not as much oomph as yours a 3.2l with only 218bhp, but still fun to drive.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

'Only' 218... ;) That's plenty. I just always have this urge...

Oh, and Sin_tiger the Viggen had Trionic 7 before Saab released it. ;)

Nick Calne

I loved both the saabs I have had previously. Properly fast cars and like Sin alludes to, a machine for transporting you across a country in a moment. :occasion14

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

The Hirsch stuff is typical Skandi understated but purposeful design  :pimp

I thought it was a requirement for architects to own a SAAB  :rfl
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

You get issued a saab, some round spectacles and a black polo neck shirt upon admittance to the Royal Institute of British Architects....

I miss my saabs, especially the 9-3.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

when I was a lad, our Neighbour had a Saab 96, a rear engine 2-stroke, which I was a passenger in a few times.....It was "different" is my best memory....Favourite Saab is the Drakken..

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 09, 2021, 08:11:39 AM
You get issued a saab, some round spectacles and a black polo neck shirt upon admittance to the Royal Institute of British Architects....

:icon_cool:  :icon_lol:

ghulst

Can I apply for that Saab introduction package somewhere? ;)