News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Have I gone mad?

Started by ghulst, May 26, 2021, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

As an AT owner I think you have got it about right.  Personally I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to you unless you plan to spend some time away from surfaced roads as there are better on-road options.  What makes the AT 1000 so exceptional is being able to move from road to off it seemlessly, its Honda goodness, reliability and in the case of the 1000, the absense of tech unnecessary to adventure situations.  (Adpative cruise control- I :^_^) Think big, soft dirt bike, perfect for a slightly more challenging adventure and you are in the right ballpark.  The 1100 has a bit more power and torque taking it a little further towards the BMW etc.  Both are relatively slim, easy to ride, very neutral overall and considerably better looking than most adv bikes.  The 1100 has a better seat.

Given your riding profile surely it is down to the BMW, no?  If not, and you fancy some Honda-ery goodness then try the 1100 adventure sports plus edition model, it seems to match what you want best.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 10, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
Great to be able to do that and not feel like a fraud as I would  ;)  Good comparisons  :thumbsup

Well, I am not a fraud as I am considering getting one, so comparing all that is on the market is not more than logical. Right? ;)

I guess that the color in the plastics can discolor, but in case of the Ducati it is done in a way that I doubt that will happen. Or I'll be able to buy a cheap one in 15 years. ;)

The adaptive cruise control worked a treat when I used it. However, I have not tried it on a dual carriage way. In the car, I have found that it was pretty easy to make it work, so I would think the same would go for a bike. But again, I haven't tried it. I do like the feature...

Quote from: Nick Calne on June 10, 2021, 01:50:24 PM
As an AT owner I think you have got it about right.

Thanks. That sounds good. ;) I do like that Honda reliability. It is one of the strong points of the bike. And it does give you the idea that you can switch to desert riding right after you have done your grocery shopping. Yes, my riding profile would make you think I would really need to go for the BMW. The question is, should I? I would really like to see what the 1100 is like. Or, better put, I am not sure I would want to pull the trigger on a new BMW. After all, there are so many of them and they don't look as good as the AT.
(Or is it that I want the AT to make me look good. ;) ) I am not sure. Yet.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Just a comment on a previous comment from you Ghulst. You tried the Road version of the 900, but commented the latest Tigers are too similar to the 800xc, which I think is not accurate.
I know When we were in Ireland, Mat Tiger had his new 2018 800xca, which he has now traded up to a 900. It was clear that the 800xca was a big improvement on the 800xc ( Mines a 2012) with better display, more rider modes, and a better overall setup, and although you said rider aids were not your thing, I thought that about the 800 having abs, but now I would not want to be without it. There were a number of improvements, then the 900 came along, and was improved again. Now it may not be "better" in your eyes, but the takaway is that I think if you think the 900 is somehow not vastly improved from our 800's you've possibly missed something with the road version you tried. just my thoughts.

You have of course not mentioned my favourite, the HD Pan American. I urge you to try and get a test ride on the 1250 Special with adaptive ride height etc, just to see what it can do....Biased..moi????

ghulst

@Phil; I have read a lot of comments on the Tiger 900. Many people found it a vast improvement on the 800, which was the main reason why I did a reference ride on my '11 Tiger 800XC before riding the 900. And to be honest, the Rally Pro version was the cheapest of the three bikes I was going to ride. The Tiger was also the most loaded bike of the three. I mean, I have done winter rides when I would have loved a heated seat. ;) Plus, I run a Tiger forum. :D I really wanted to like the Tiger. Honest.
You mention the driver aids and the drive modes, and I think I would absolutely be the first to admit that I will probably use them quite a bit when I would own the bike. However, I did a number of runs down a couple of roads that I know well. First on the 800XC, then on the 900. The trouble for me was, that I felt more confident on the same road on the 800XC than on the 900. I did not really notice the increase in power or much of an improvement on the dynamic suspension. Plus, the AT and the GS both actually gave me more confidence on the same road. That is what bugs me. I am not going to shell out a lot of money for a bike that isn't doing for me what its predecessor does.

Ah, the H-D Pan America. I have sat on it. I really would like to try it. Even if just to be different. They look like nice bikes and that would be a massively impressive V-Twin to have between your legs. Perhaps I should try and get my leg over one. ;)

Nick Calne

Remember not to be too logical. Some part of every bike purchase has got to be about making your heart sing, otherwise you are doing it wrong.

London_Phil

Quote from: Nick Calne on June 10, 2021, 11:25:17 PM
Remember not to be too logical. Some part of every bike purchase has got to be about making your heart sing, otherwise you are doing it wrong.
Totally agree, and It's a personal choice, but is the road version of  the bike directly comparable ride wise to the Trailie? It would be a shame to not buy one model, based on the experience of a different version is all..

ghulst

Absolutely Nick. And I do agree Phil, however, I have not been able to come across a Rally Pro to ride anywhere near me. ;)

Sin_Tiger

Could some of that be down to something as simple as tyres  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Oh, the tyres had a definite influence. I am betting that, with another set of tires, the bike wouldn't 'fall' into the corners as much as this one did. But tyres make no difference in the pull the engine has from the lower rev range. That is what I found interesting. I am not a rev-happy rider, so in theory I should be able to notice the difference in the power and torque this engine makes. After all, it is claimed to be 10% up on power and 12% up on torque across the rev range. Not so much on top numbers as the 900 only has 0.9kW more absolute power than the 800, though it is up an absolute 8Nm. And that just leaves me wondering where that has gone. I honestly did not feel the big improvement all the reviewers are raving about...

Sin_Tiger

Not able to say what bearing this has on your experiences but I vividly remember when I took a 1050 for a test ride in their first year, and was serious about buying then  ;). Riding some familiar roads, I was thinking what's all the fuss about, then I went into a corner I regularly ripped through and realised I was entering it up to 10mph quicker than I normally would have without it registering, split second of panic before just getting on with it and thinking "I didn't expect that".

I'm wondering if, doing what you're doing, it might actually be harder to make a comparison with so many choices and variables rather than the more limited choices that I had at that time.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

That's a good point. Jumping from tiger to AT I don't think I am going any faster until I look at the clocks. Then it's clear all of a sudden.

ghulst

Interesting observation. To be honest, I have not been looking at the clocks. I had been concentrating on the ride more. However, I had split my test into two parts. One where I would just ride with the traffic, as I normally do, to get a feel for the normal behaviour of the machines. It is no use trying them out in full hooligan mode, only to then realise you never really drive that when you normally use the bike. ;) The second part of the ride were a couple of narrower, more twisty roads to check handling. I just went back there on my way back from the office and at least I would choose the exact same gears again. It could have been that I would have been faster, but to be honest, that was not the point. It is the difference in feel that I was concentrating on. I don't have to be faster as I can lose my license at every single stretch of road on the 800XC anyway. I do want the bike to match my riding style a bit more though. To feel as if it is having a bit of fun while we are riding. And to me, there was no difference in 'feel' between the 800 and 900...

But, I might need to go out to a dealership in an area I don't know to experience it again. And then ride the Rally Pro. ;)

Lee337

Got me thinking I may need to test out a few alternatives to the 955i - not that I intend to get rid of her, I've pretty much got her as I like now, but as I'll have plenty of free time come 1 July, it'd be rude not to take advantage.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Nick Calne

Interesting isn't it? When you get the itch to change nothing can stand in the way, but conversely some bikes are keepers.

ghulst

Hahahaha, well, to be honest, I rode the XC for a work related trip today and I found myself to be quite happy on it. Sure, cruise control would be nice for 20 minutes of motorway and it could do with a bit more shielding from the wind, but still.

That's the thing though. I don't have to change. It is an option that has presented itself to me through some clever thinking of someone. ;) But when the opportunity arises...

In that way, these test runs are not at all decisive and I don't have to buy today. I was considering waiting to buy something until after summer anyway. Brands might be releasing their 2022 models by September, so that might bring in new gadgetry (adaptive cruise control on the GS and AT?) and perhaps some other news? The purchase would be nice to do in this fiscal year, so that gives me lots of time. I can keep my helmet and suit for some time longer. ;)

Quote from: Nick Calne on June 10, 2021, 01:50:24 PM
Given your riding profile surely it is down to the BMW, no?
That just left me wondering whether the guy with the Tiger and the AT is actually trying to sell me a BMW here now. ;)