News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Have I gone mad?

Started by ghulst, May 26, 2021, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Have I? Let me explain. Last week I saw a nice '06 BMW R1200 GS Adventure for sale at the bike shop of an acquaintance. As the weather was ok and I needed to be in the area anyway, I went around to have a look. So, I sat on that and on a '14 R1200GS. And to be honest, I do like those bikes. I am biased as I did also own a R1150GS a couple of years ago. I wasn't actually seriously shopping for anything, but I do like the look of that GSA and it was in the area, which triggered my visit.

Well, this is where it gets tricky. Because of our discussion, I started looking into the benefits to put a motorcycle on the business. And that is very attractive. It allows me to put all motorcycle related costs on the business. That includes the bike, fuel, maintenance, parts and even "necessary items to use the bike" like clothing, helmet, navigation etc. As I have been eyeing a new suit and helmet, just those two items almost make it worth it.

The next question then is, what am I going to do. I have a very nice '11 800XC that I can probably sell for more than it cost me to buy and I've had a couple of years to enjoy it. However, it might be hard to put it on the company out of private ownership. So, it would make more sense to sell the Tiger and buy something else. And that is where things become more difficult. After all, there are many nice motorcycles on the market today. This list is in my head currently:

Similar price category (here in NL):
Triumph Tiger 900
Honda Africa Twin
BMW F800GS.

Slightly cheaper:
Suzuki V-Strom 1050 XT

Even cheaper:
Yamaha Ténéré 700 is even cheaper.
I could also mention the KTM 790, but I am not sure I would like that as I think the front is just ugly.

Another option would be to buy a nice second hand bike, as the ones I looked at. A '14/15 BMW R1200GS for instance. I wouldn't choose the Adventure as those are huge and are going to be hard to fit in my designated space in the garage.

So, for all of you, how crazy am I? Which current Tiger 900 buyers have tried them against the ones I mention above? Really looking forward to your feedback.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

Quick question.  How do I start a business in the Netherlands?  I would get taxed into oblivion doing that in the UK.

Bikes? Depends on your focus. Quite a few that you mention are biased toward off road riding. Is that what you want?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

mat-tiger1

I spent a whole weekend a couple of years ago riding this around the mountains of southern Spain & I must say, I found it a very capable ride indeed. I used it both on and off road and never felt out of my comfort zone regardless of the type of terrain.

It was easy to ride and comfortable, but call me old fashioned because I was so looking forward to getting back to my (then) 18 plate 800 XCA as the BMW (for me at least) "lacked character"

I now have the 900RP and I can say without a shadow of doubt that this new offering from big T is a huge improvement on the outgoing 800 and bridges the gaps for those who had previously complained that the 800 wasn't smooth enough, powerful enough or easy enough to ride & it also seems to be winning over a load of former GS riders who are searching for something with more character!

If I were choosing something for an everyday commute that would take me pretty much anywhere come the weekend, my vote would be with the 900RP!

All the best,
Mat-tiger1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Sin_Tiger

It does sound like the smart thing to do and it looks like you may have a convert in Nick the Cheesemaker  :rfl

As the Man says, the 900 is popular, he has the experience to know  :thumbsup

I didn't see the 1200 Ex on the list and don't know how it would compare financially, with the miles you do, the shaft drive might be an advantage. I can say they are very comfy and feel feather light on the move.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on May 27, 2021, 09:00:43 AM
Quick question.  How do I start a business in the Netherlands?  I would get taxed into oblivion doing that in the UK.

LOL, there's a whole story to it. However, the short of it is that for a bike the rules are quite favorable. I can list all of the cost that are involved in buying the bike and all the necessary accessories as company costs. I need to do 10% of the mileage of the bike on work-related trips so I can deduct our version of the VAT. If I buy a fuel burning bike, I can do an investment deduction off my profits of 28% of the purchase price. If I were to buy an EV, I can deduct another 27% (max) of that purchase price off my profits. I then need to track my mileage and I need to determine the percentage of private versus work kilometers and then add that private percentage of the actual costs of the bike to my personal income. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.
Quote from: Nick Calne on May 27, 2021, 09:00:43 AM
Bikes? Depends on your focus. Quite a few that you mention are biased toward off road riding. Is that what you want?
Nail on the head. I like the upright position of the allroad bike. The T7 and especially the KTM are more offroad focussed. To be honest, I don't really ride offroad that much at all, as the Netherlands, and especially my region doesn't really allow a lot of offroad riding... But I do like the looks of the T7. The others are more in the same league as my current Tiger/past GS. And there is that -totally unrealistic- dream of throwing my leg over the bike and riding away for weeks to end up in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on May 27, 2021, 09:43:38 AM
It was easy to ride and comfortable, but call me old fashioned because I was so looking forward to getting back to my (then) 18 plate 800 XCA as the BMW (for me at least) "lacked character"

I now have the 900RP and I can say without a shadow of doubt that this new offering from big T is a huge improvement on the outgoing 800 and bridges the gaps for those who had previously complained that the 800 wasn't smooth enough, powerful enough or easy enough to ride & it also seems to be winning over a load of former GS riders who are searching for something with more character!

Thanks Mat. That is very useful information. On the one hand, I like how the Tiger revs higher than the BMW. On the other, I love how the Beemers grunt seems to be able to pull you out of everything. In that way it gives you a very relaxed riding experience. I do like the looks of the Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro as well, but that is not within the budget (yet) as most of those are still €20K+ here. From what I have understood, the V-Strom lacks a lot in the character department, but haven't ridden that one either. ;)

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 27, 2021, 10:23:40 AM
It does sound like the smart thing to do and it looks like you may have a convert in Nick the Cheesemaker  :rfl
:ImaPoser

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 27, 2021, 10:23:40 AM
I didn't see the 1200 Ex on the list and don't know how it would compare financially, with the miles you do, the shaft drive might be an advantage. I can say they are very comfy and feel feather light on the move.

Yes, that is another thing the GS has as an advantage. The shaft drive is definitely an advantage. I am getting really fed up with my Scottoiler and the mess it gives. In that way, my 1150 was ideal. The reason the 1200 Explorer is not on the list, is that it seems to be pretty bulky and the test reviews say that the GS is a bit more nimble than the Explorer as well. Mind you, I have never actually ridden one.

So, I need to go ride my 800XC, a GS and 900 back to back to see how they compare. :) (And perhaps the Explorer...)

Nick Calne

I'd skip the explorer unless you get a deal.  They are pretty large and very top heavy.  Think of a 'fat steamer' and you are in the right ball park, and that's a bit of a shame with more modern bikes available to you.

How about the tiger 850?

Sin_Tiger

A trip around the shops, that'll be a fun ride report  :thumbsup

Ignore him, he has a thing against fat chicks  :*&*
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mat-tiger1

Quote from: ghulst on May 27, 2021, 10:59:05 AM

Thanks Mat. That is very useful information. On the one hand, I like how the Tiger revs higher than the BMW. On the other, I love how the Beemers grunt seems to be able to pull you out of everything. In that way it gives you a very relaxed riding experience.

When you go on your test ride you'll be very surprised (in a good way) by the torque delivery on the new 900!

All the best,
Mat-tiger1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

ghulst

Well, they are saying that the weather is going to improve after the weekend. Unfortunately, that will also be a very busy week for work, but at least I will be able to plan something soon after. I did overhear a salesman saying that it is not easy to get new bikes in at the moment. Supply seems to be trickling in. I heard him say to someone on the phone that he would be able to sell every bike he gets in, as long as he would actually get them in...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ghulst on May 27, 2021, 08:40:02 PM
I heard him say to someone on the phone that he would be able to sell every bike he gets in, as long as he would actually get them in...

I had a car salesman try to pull that one on my wife once, I was a bit suspicious so I dialed his number from my mobile and the look on his face when he looked at his phone was priceless  :cp needless to say we walked straight out  :pottytrain2

It might be the case though, I've heard stories about car hire companies charging silly money at the moment as they are short of vehicles.

ghulst

He was on that call before I walked in and there weren't any people at that end of the showroom. Not sure it is a prank, as chip problems thatare plaguing the car industry have hit the motorcycle industry as well. I doubt he was doing it for my entertainment as he actually didn't talk to me at all. Much to busy at his desk. Might have already ridden something if we had talked. ;)

Nick Calne

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 27, 2021, 06:23:57 PM
Ignore him, he has a thing against fat chicks  :*&*

Yes, a restraining order in fact.

Sin_Tiger

ghulst

It has been a busy day. I spent most of the day riding the Tiger and ended up riding:

KTM's 890 Adventure R

and

Yamaha's Ténéré 700.

Long story, which I am not going to write now. However, I will leave you to guess which one of these I loved best. Also, I found out something as I was riding my Tiger today. With covid it had been a while since I last did a good couple of hours riding on it. And I am afraid I will be getting another bike. ;)

Nick Calne

A new steamer would be best.  :occasion14 :occasion14