News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High(er) Mileage Oil

Started by bunzelburner, July 05, 2023, 03:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunzelburner

About to do an oil change after a long trip here on my 96 Tiger. I've been using Castrol Actevo 10w40. Just rolled 73000 miles on the odometer and I'm wondering if I should be using a different oil weight due to the high mileage.

Also, and I know I may ignite a debate here, is there really any problem with me switching to using a full synthetic oil on an older bike?

London_Phil

I always used Fully synthetic on my Steamer without issue.

gcloys

Stick with the 10w40, (no friction modifiers) Semi or Full no problem

93TigerBill-2016

Hi BunzelBurner,
I now have over 132,000 km on my '93, it was switched to Fully Synthetic 10W40 at the first service, and has had a regular diet of same ever since.  Just ensure that the oil is specifically for motorbikes, i.e. no friction modifiers as mentioned above.
Last three valve checks (15,000 km apart) have not needed adjustment.
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

Madruss

Quote from: 93TigerBill-2016 on July 06, 2023, 12:36:10 AMJust ensure that the oil is specifically for motorbikes, i.e. no friction modifiers as mentioned above.
:augie In my early motorcyling days, some of us never understood the difference between car & bike oils.  :nono
I remember Castrol marketing a product called GTX. In the motorcycling community the X stood for clutch slip  :rfl
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!