News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Now to put it all back together

Started by Madruss, June 06, 2021, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madruss

it was so nice to take the Tiger for a shakedown ride on Friday.
I overtightened the chain by mistake too. It looked fine but after inspecting it upon returning, fairly tight.
The screen appears a bit off centre too. I repaired the framework some time ago but upon the refit, the left side was a bit tight.
The instrument cluster & fairing don't coincide either. The fairing frame on the Calypso looks straight, so it'll be swapped sometime after the Christmas break. (grandkids visiting)
The preowned Hepco Becker crashbars from the Calypso, fit with the rest of the ol girls battle scars !
A little bit of fine tuning after the novelty of listening to the 3 cylinder growl wears off. :rock-1:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

ghulst

Well done Russ! She looks good out in the country. I personally like an adventure bike with battle scars. It makes you less scared to just send it and see. Which often ends up much better than carefully trying to navigate a rougher bit. 
Enjoy!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Still one of the best looking bikes out there.
If only they were EFI...

ghulst

Well, that is something that can be changed. Not cheap, but it can be changed... ;-)

ssevy

While rebuilding the Mikunis is no picnic, once I did mine and then ran non-ethanol fuel, I've been trouble free. Fuel injection is probably great, but I am still impressed by what a carb can do when it is set up correctly. I did stop at a Triumph dealer to pick up a part, and I wouldn't feel bad about owning any of the new Tigers. I sat on all of them, and was quite surprised that I had no issues touching both feet to the ground. Probably never will afford one, but for me, I'd gladly trade fuel injection for shaft drive, as the chain and sprocket maintenance is more of a pain for me than the carbs.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ghulst

Carbs can be great, if they are working nicely. However, when they go wrong... And that is one factor that EFI has a bit less. I enjoyed my Tiger 800 with injection. I have looked at the 900, but in my opinion it was so close to the 800 that I didn't really see the point for the extra expenses.

Having said that, I would prefer EFI and shaft drive...

Which means I will probably end up with something old and ratty again. ;)

Madruss

Quote from: ghulst on November 28, 2023, 08:38:54 AMWell done Russ! She looks good out in the country. I personally like an adventure bike with battle scars. It makes you less scared to just send it and see. Which often ends up much better than carefully trying to navigate a rougher bit.
Enjoy!
Thanks mate.
have a nice Christmas.
Big damaging storms predicted over South East Queensland for the next 3 days. Glad we're staying this year
Regards Russ

Madruss

Some wild storms have hammered south east Qld over Christmas.
Good beer drinking weather here on the range, 34c today.
Regards Russ

Lee337

Wet, windy & 10c on the other side. Bikes firmly tucked up in the garage but all being well with the weather, I might take the Tiger 800 out new years day. (Working through Xmas - New Year so no beers for me just yet.)
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.