News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Now to put it all back together

Started by Madruss, June 06, 2021, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madruss

Yes, it was a tricky job drilling the countersunk head off the screw, :icon_rolleyes:  whilst still in situ on the master cylinder.
Numerous changes of drill bits, even resorting to my only reverse taper bit aswell. I Only went slighty off vertical, removing a minimal amount of alloy in the cap. :icon_eek:
What really made me  :icon_redface: was how easy the damn screw came out of the cylinder after all the fight it put up  :icon_frown:
After just straightening that side of the bars, I had no intention of employing anything bigger than the impact screwdriver & "my soft blow hammer" in the process  :nono 
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Madruss

Getting to the end now.
Found this in the top box. Can't remember removing it, so should there be 2  :^_^
Regards Russ

Madruss

Regards Russ

London_Phil

Quote from: Madruss on October 23, 2022, 09:00:31 AMGetting to the end now.
Found this in the top box. Can't remember removing it, so should there be 2  :^_^

Nope, it the cover between the alternator and cylinders, to hide the nest of piping.

Madruss

Quote from: London_Phil on October 23, 2022, 10:25:39 AMNope, it the cover between the alternator and cylinders, to hide the nest of piping.
Thanks, I had no idea where it would fit.
Being the 5th owner I've found a few "deleted" items along the way, with several "dodgey" fasteners around this bike. :icon_eek:
Regards Russ

Madruss

Quote from: London_Phil on October 23, 2022, 10:25:39 AMNope, it the cover between the alternator and cylinders, to hide the nest of piping.
Thanks, I had no idea where it would fit.
Just went to have a look, I probably removed it but that was over 12 months ago from when I started  :icon_rolleyes: 
Being the 5th owner I've found a few "deleted" items along the way, with several "dodgey" fasteners around this bike. :icon_eek:
Regards Russ

Madruss

Well, I'd stalled out on the job for a few months as some house projects before Christmas required attention.
In the meantime, I'd been conversing with a fellow tiger owner in north Qld about going halves in another tiger to split up the parts but in the end, I'm buying the other blokes '94 tiger he'd given up on.
Freight from the very top of the Barrier Reef to here was going to be over half the negotiated price  :icon_eek:
I went through my old contact list & found an owner operator bike transporter, I'd used previously, who could move the tiger a week earlier than the "big company", over $100 less & will do door to door.  :thumbsup 

I'll put some photo's up when it arrives.
The plan is to keep the accessories, the unbuckled front wheel, the new battery & re upholster/repad the seat (increase the seat to footpeg distance) to suit my long legs.
The rest of the bike & my seat can go to a swapmeet for someone else to do whatever, hopefully cover my costs giving me some parts for free  :occasion14 
Regards Russ

Lee337

Be very careful having more than one Triumph in your workshop, that's how it started for me.

One Tiger, then another Tiger, then a Trophy, then Tiger2 left to help pay for the Trophy, then a Daytona turned up and now another Tiger.

3 years ago I only had one Honda  :bug_eye

:wheel
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Madruss

It'll be a tight squeeze into a 4.5m x 3m garden shed. :icon_frown:
I'll have to be like the local bike shops who move their stock outside to use their workshop!
Mrs M isn't impressed now  :nono so a larger shed is in the planning stages  :icon_biggrin:
Regards Russ

Sin_Tiger

I have a mate who lives by that philosophy, although he'll deny it.

Just build another shed  :icon_lol: on teh plus side, you'll have more hiding places  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Quote from: Madruss on October 22, 2022, 11:57:03 PMYes, it was a tricky job drilling the countersunk head off the screw, :icon_rolleyes:  whilst still in situ on the master cylinder.
Numerous changes of drill bits, even resorting to my only reverse taper bit aswell. I Only went slighty off vertical, removing a minimal amount of alloy in the cap. :icon_eek:
What really made me  :icon_redface: was how easy the damn screw came out of the cylinder after all the fight it put up  :icon_frown:
After just straightening that side of the bars, I had no intention of employing anything bigger than the impact screwdriver & "my soft blow hammer" in the process  :nono 

I had a factory screw stuck on my Legend master cylinder cover, and I used a lefthand threaded drill bit to gently remove the head. The galling seems to take place on the shoulder of the head and not the threads, as mine also unscrewed easily once the head was free.
Since that day, I have purchased JIS screwdrivers, as they are not Philips screws, and I use just a dab of grinding compound on the tip of the screwdriver, and tap it with a hammer to seat it snugly before trying to turn those screws out.
A thin film of red rubber grease (brake fluid safe) can be applied to the shoulder of the screw before replacing it, and this also helps reduce the galling effect of the dissimilar metals.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Lee337

+1 for the JIS screwdrivers. My brother bought me a set for Xmas in 2021. worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. A local bike Journo recommended them to me when he came to do a piece on rebuilding Tabitha Trophy.

Used regularly when working on both Tallulah and Daysie - not had a stripped head since using them yet, whereas when working on Tabitha, I ended up having to drill out the screws for both front brake and clutch reservoir caps as well as many other screws.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Madruss

Yes I've discovered "the tap on the head treatment" had been a good starting point for many cantackerous bolts & nuts.
Years ago I was snookered trying to loosen large nut 2" on my Cat motor grader.
A 3/4 drive socket T bar & a length of pipe wouldn't budge it.
A very experienced machine shop bloke advised me to spend some with a hammer running around each face. The "shock treatment" broke the slight corrosion which was acting like "loctite"
A lesson learned  :notworthy

Regards Russ

Madruss

Quote from: Madruss on January 11, 2023, 12:00:53 PMWell, I'd stalled out on the job for a few months as some house projects before Christmas required attention.
In the meantime, I'd been conversing with a fellow tiger owner in north Qld about going halves in another tiger to split up the parts but in the end, I'm buying the other blokes '94 tiger he'd given up on.
Freight from the very top of the Barrier Reef to here was going to be over half the negotiated price  :icon_eek:
I went through my old contact list & found an owner operator bike transporter, I'd used previously, who could move the tiger a week earlier than the "big company", over $100 less & will do door to door.  :thumbsup 

I'll put some photo's up when it arrives.
The plan is to keep the accessories, the unbuckled front wheel, the new battery & re upholster/repad the seat (increase the seat to footpeg distance) to suit my long legs.
The rest of the bike & my seat can go to a swapmeet for someone else to do whatever, hopefully cover my costs giving me some parts for free  :occasion14 

The big rain (massive flooding) event has stopped traffic movements, so where the #2 tigers whereabouts are   :^_^   
Regards Russ

Sin_Tiger

If the engine's oil tight it should fine  ;)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint