News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

There are at least 5 Steamers on eBay UK currently

Started by London_Phil, June 23, 2021, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Just saying... Its unusual to see so many.
One looks really nice, but......carbs......I'm not going back........

ghulst

I'm guessing that's what those five owners are saying as well...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ghulst on June 23, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
I'm guessing that's what those four owners are saying as well...

:mut They do seem to be like London buses Phil  ;)

There's a huge range in both standard and prices but the spares / repair ones are actually not bad prospects for the money. There's another local (to me) one on Gumtree but someone has done a "custom" paint job on it and you know what that means  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Blimey boys clearly you lot do not pay much attention to the bike market, their is a shortage of bikes in the new market and older stuff is strong as well.

As someone who hasn't sold a bike in the last 20 years... it's an interesting turn of events.

Nick Calne

7 at the present time.

The one with the custom paint job has been facebook famous for a while. I quite like it.
Prices seem a bit rich. £3500 for a steamer!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

What is going on is the normal slide down that bikes on are on from brand new to banger but as they become rarer the next step is collectible, and that is what is going on with the steamer, accentuated by this Covid lark... because with folks not going on holiday etc, those with space and disposable income have even more to spend.

I have an XT660X the way prices are going is nothing short of astonishing...prices have gone up by a third and that is from what I paid for it over 10 years ago, what is starting to be of a concern are 955 parts, luckily I planned for the long term and stocked up years ago, bikes are still cheap but part ain't ??? 955 tiger wheels  :icon_eek:

Lee337

Used bikes are not the only vehicles going up in price.

Knowing I was due for some redundancy money at the end of this month, and because Mrs L & I like going to wathc BSB, we thought we'd invest in an old motorhome, just for camping at circuits & the odd weekend away. So I started looking with a set budget around a year ago (I was origially due to leave work on 31 Dec 2020). What would have cost me around 10k 12 months ago are around 15k now and finding one in a useable condition at that price is rare. Of course, I could buy an old fleapit with dodgy mechanics & leaky roof for less, but by the time I've spent money doing it up, I might as well not bother.

So I thought I'd treat myself to a 'new to me' used car. I have two in mind & have been looking, again within a set budget. Guess what? Used car prices are also going up. the two I've been contemplating, a Freelander 2 or Volvo XC60, have both increased by around 20% in 3 months I've been looking. Again, I could take a chance & buy a cheaper, high mileage with no service history for less than my budget, but I kind of like the idea of spending more time driving than under it, fixing it. I've got my bikes should I feel the need to weild spanners.

On the plus side, both my 06 Tiger and my 93 Trophy are worth more now than I paid for them, not that I'm planning on selling either.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Chris Canning

Sin_Tiger

This is good news, I can sell all the sh1te littering my drive for more than scrap  :*&*
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

You'd only use the money to buy more sh1te Sin  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Oh, and reliability-wise, go for the Volvo... ;)

Or better, save the money and buy a motor home when prices drop next year when they all fly to resorts again. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

You'll have a much broader view of the market than most of us Chris, having been closer to the trade side of bikes.

What I find interesting is that the private selling of bikes and I'm talking about specific bikes rather than genres, seems to come in waves and why  :icon_scratch:  perhaps it's a case of "If I can ride the wave of interest on that model, I'll sell mine too" or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

As an example, sighting Gumtree in Scotland / borders. Two months ago there were 5 TT600's came up around the same time, about 3 weeks later there was a glut of about the same 955i Sprint ST's, currently 955i Sprint RS's seem to be to the fore with similar numbers offered  :icon_scratch: