News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Legs on Fire...

Started by London_Phil, June 27, 2021, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

So Yesterday( Saturday) I was given a day pass, and decided to look at some Bikes, either a used Bonnie variant or RE Interceptor, and decided to pop to Triumph Brooklands to see some at The Triumph dealer... Bloody waste of time....They are sterile palaces to selling, imho 3 used bikes in the whole store...Then I thought, I know, I'll ride across London to E2 to Look at some Enfields at TTT motorcycles.
Well, you would have thought Covid was fully cured, soo many people, and I didn't know there was a march on, but anyway, the heat from the xc was insane... I have set the fan temp to 93 using Tigertool, but heck, so much heat....
I must be a liar, because my pantaloons felt like they were ablaze...( for the non English, its liar liar, pants on fire...)
Got to E2, couldn't park, and ended up riding home after 5 hrs in the saddle, and less than 60 miles....
Anybody ride an efi Bonnie? because the Tiger is not suited to the heat of the city, well it probably is, but I was not...

Chris Canning

If I had to do any serious city riding, i'd Wheel my XT660X out, not only easy enough to look after and more than able to look after themselves performance wise, and they certainly do not get hot and bothered.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on June 27, 2021, 03:09:10 PM
...They are sterile palaces to selling, imho 3 used bikes in the whole store...

Couldn't agree more, might as well be in an Audi showroom  :icon_confused: When did Covid end, they haven't told us in the sticks   :nono

I never experienced that with the XC and I've been stuck in jams in the tropics many times  :icon_rolleyes: Could it be something else?

My Thruxton isn't a fair comparison but when it was stock I used it in Singapore traffic a fair bit and it was fine. I've ridden a few other Bonnies and they are fun if a little innocuous in stock trim, the T100 is the best in my opinion. It's hard to make a comparison without a fan kicking in or a temp gauge, although air / oil cooled they have two oil pumps, one for the gearbox and the other just for the motor. They're not the lightest of machines but you've owned a Steamer  :augie

I'm liking what I'm reading about the RE 650's.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

The mistake is living in London. Move to the country and enjoy both speed and the cooling effect of the passing airstream.  :ImaPoser
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

I can partly relate to what you are saying, but how on earth could you be riding through London for FIVE hours? I once tried to get out of London on my Honda Transalp without a proper map or GPS on my phone and even then it took me less time to get out of the city. ;) (And I'm a Dutchie and don't live there.)

Anyway, joking aside, I have never experienced heat in the way you describe it. I have had warm legs on hot days, but not ablaze. Might be a good thing to check the radiators and fans over and check the coolant flow...
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Quote from: Nick Calne on June 27, 2021, 09:15:44 PM
The mistake is living in London. Move to the country and enjoy both speed and the cooling effect of the passing airstream.  :ImaPoser

Am looking, but prices up 20%..

ghulst

But they are in London as well, aren't they?

London_Phil

Quote from: ghulst on June 27, 2021, 09:40:18 PM
I can partly relate to what you are saying, but how on earth could you be riding through London for FIVE hours? I once tried to get out of London on my Honda Transalp without a proper map or GPS on my phone and even then it took me less time to get out of the city. ;) (And I'm a Dutchie and don't live there.)

Anyway, joking aside, I have never experienced heat in the way you describe it. I have had warm legs on hot days, but not ablaze. Might be a good thing to check the radiators and fans over and check the coolant flow...

there and back, as it were...West London-Surrey-Surrey East London-East London-West London...
Bike running perfectly, rad removed and cleaned when RR upgraded, fresh coolant, and all working fine...Suspect that fan is on for longer as switch point set at 93 from 103, which is standard, I think...

London_Phil

Quote from: ghulst on June 27, 2021, 10:19:39 PM
But they are in London as well, aren't they?

Buying a second home....or at least trying.....

Chris Canning

Blimey boys we really are stuck in a time warp...it's 2021.. all the show rooms are the same...it's only taken 70 years to get away from the oil and sawdust synario...

London_Phil

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 27, 2021, 10:59:08 PM
Blimey boys we really are stuck in a time warp...it's 2021.. all the show rooms are the same...it's only taken 70 years to get away from the oil and sawdust synario...

you say that like its a good thing.......

Chris Canning

To dam right I do....i've Had the majority of a life time being treated as a second class citizen because I ride a motorcycle...all i've heard over and over 'why are we not treated the same as a car buyer' with a clean and tidy show room, also i'd Point out just because I ride a bike..I'm not skint.

I've never seen any reason why I shouldn't Be treated as an equal and you lot want to go back to spit and saw dust..still riding riding in our waxed Barbour are we... ;)

Don't get me wrong of the 6 bikes I run, half were bought privately so commercial retail is not the Be all End all,..but it is nice walking into a clean tidy show room and being treated as member of the human race like everyone else, there's not a snowballs chance in hell of me being dragged back to the stone age.

Don't get me wrong...i've Two mates who run a very successful motorcycle repair business out of not much more than a garden shed but at least now as modern day bikers we have a choice.

ghulst

In that way, I do agree Chris. It is nice to end up in a showroom where things are tidy and a customer gets properly treated. However, I do like those showrooms to be full of bikes, both new and used. After all, just like when you are buying a car, it is good to have a choice. So, yes, nice clean showrooms, but also yes to having more than 3 bikes in the room. ;)

Sin_Tiger

I agree as well Chris, things have moved on, thankfully in most cases, however, as motorcyclists you generally have a better knowledge of what you're buying and expect a similar level of understanding from sales people.

What I dislike and I suspect this may be what Phil is alluding to, without putting words into his mouth, the attitude of the sales people in many places is such that I personally often feel like I have ATM stamped on my forehead when I'm approached and often the immediate thrust of discussion is about financing before any talk of bikes commences. I felt the same was true in the car sales showrooms last time we bought a car.

I came into the store to consider a motorcycle not a "lifestyle" and I have money in my pocket, I do not wish to discuss monthly repayments, how a PCP arrangement will work for me nor what my credit rating is. I suspect it's a generational thing as much as anything else and we have to adjust our expectations accordingly  ;)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

I suppose its all about perspective...
Anyway back to the 800's and about my flaming troosers.... ( Donald.....)
Am I right in thinking gen 2's had a bigger radiator, and later ones (900?) have a split Rad to angle the nut roast out the side, as it were...or knee roast as more accurate...