News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A good ride today with just one small hitch

Started by Lee337, October 13, 2021, 06:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

Had a conversation today with my Institute of Advanced Motorist (IAM) instructor about how close to test standard my riding was, during which I asked about having to show my licence, insurance & MOT.

Apparently it's not necessary to prove you're legal to ride anymore, it's down to the candidate to ensure he/she is all road legal. After all, it is the riders responsibility. It came up in conversation as my licence is curently with the DVLA to update some of the entitlements to drive & it's likely to be a long wait before I get it back.

Anyway, we were 35 miles in to an assessed ride with a further 40 or so miles to go. I knew my MOT was due sometime in October so decided to check when I got home.

Turns out it ran out 4 days ago, meaning I've had two assessed rides with the IAM on Tallulah Tiger with no MOT  :icon_eek:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

:mut  Well, guess the Tiger is better than any kind of MOT. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

No MOT ----- Advanced motorist my @rse !!  :icon_razz:

How's the advanced riding going ?? You enjoying it, learning anything new, or was it already there, just not in such a structured way ??

I used to teach IAM and ROSPA riding. It was amazing how poor some people were at riding when they came to me, and how only a few took to it like a duck to water.

The one thing that really boils my piss about knowing how to drive and ride properly......is being surrounded by a sea of people who can't drive for shite, have no concept of how to make progress, have no idea about how to approach and deal with roundabouts, sit in the wrong lane of dual carriageways and motorways, have no concept of themselves holding up queue's of traffic on rural roads, etc, etc.  :BangHead

(I could go on and on for hours about how shite other peoples' driving is  :icon_frown:)
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Lee337

The riding is going well. The positioning was already there but vanishing points, although not new to me were not being used.

The big point for me is keeping within the speed limit, not excessively over, just 3-5 mph over at national speed limit and my overtakes need work. Again it's staying within the speed limit that is the issue. Where I would normally overtake, I'm second guessing & that looks very much like hesitation.

I'm getting there though, being put in for a mock test as soon as I get an MOT  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Tiger-G on October 14, 2021, 03:01:15 PM
(I could go on and on for hours about how shite other peoples' driving is  :icon_frown:)

There's a queue  ;)

You can always learn something, experience is the thing you get just after you really needed it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

Quote from: Lee337 on October 14, 2021, 07:21:56 PM
The riding is going well. The positioning was already there but vanishing points, although not new to me were not being used.

The big point for me is keeping within the speed limit, not excessively over, just 3-5 mph over at national speed limit and my overtakes need work. Again it's staying within the speed limit that is the issue. Where I would normally overtake, I'm second guessing & that looks very much like hesitation.

I'm getting there though, being put in for a mock test as soon as I get an MOT  :icon_mrgreen:

Good stuff mate  :icon_smile:

Our motorcycle examiners (all serving or ex traffic cops) were very lenient about overtakes on rural roads and dual carriageways. You could really crack on to get a safe overtake done to get past someone doing just under the national speed limit, but in towns you had to keep to speed limits. The car examiners were rigid on all speed limits, which really hampered you making progess.

If anyone hasn't done an advanced riding / driving course, I would recommend it.....you should learn quite a lot about driving / riding quickly and safely  :thumbsup
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.