News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The new Tiger 660 Sport

Started by ghulst, October 10, 2021, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC3

Quote from: ghulst on October 19, 2021, 10:08:47 PM
That bike looks sweet! Did you order it in blue as well?
Yep with all the bits it has in photo. That blue reminds me of my first bike I took abroad, a Suzuki sv650s and been wanting another similar blue bike since

Sin_Tiger

Best colour  :thumbsup

:iagree I like the look without the top box better, just a personal thing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

I love the look of bikes without a top box. But then, I love having just a top box on to store my helmet and carry my laptop. Having no side cases does help with filtering... So, I am always torn between them.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

TC3

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 20, 2021, 12:57:52 AM
Best colour  :thumbsup

:iagree I like the look without the top box better, just a personal thing.

TC3

Quote from: ghulst on October 20, 2021, 07:34:08 AM
I love the look of bikes without a top box. But then, I love having just a top box on to store my helmet and carry my laptop. Having no side cases does help with filtering... So, I am always torn between them.
Yes the top box makes more sense if you need to filter often I can see your point. I am lucky enough to work from home and do not need to use the panniers unless doing a trip.

These will be the first hard cases I will have ever owned and am looking forward to having secure storage when I need to leave my gear on the bike.

Nick Calne

You can't win on hard luggage. It is always dork mode/ pizza boy style with a top box, or too wide with panniers and running into things. And I have hit a lot of stuff with my panniers over the years!

Interesting to consider that the police tend not to use a top box...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Here the police does use a top box for communication purposes. It holds their transmitters and radios. Ambulance bikes here in the Netherlands do you have top boxes with easy access stuff. I think there is something to be said for both. I just know that on every bike until this BMW I have now, I have always used a top box as main luggage. Very little else needed. On the BMW the vario top box cannot hold my helmet. Which is annoying. So I do need a side case if I want to leave it safely with the bike.

TC3

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 20, 2021, 09:58:44 AM
You can't win on hard luggage. It is always dork mode/ pizza boy style with a top box, or too wide with panniers and running into things. And I have hit a lot of stuff with my panniers over the years!

Interesting to consider that the police tend not to use a top box...

I had semi soft panniers on my previous bike and no problem with them sticking out too far as only 14L each....not very big. The panniers on the Tiger 660 look to sit a little under the bike and can fit helmet in each and at least do not seem to stick out further than the handguards but still will need to rethink getting through gaps I could previously sail through.

TC3

Quote from: ghulst on October 20, 2021, 10:32:53 AM
Here the police does use a top box for communication purposes. It holds their transmitters and radios. Ambulance bikes here in the Netherlands do you have top boxes with easy access stuff. I think there is something to be said for both. I just know that on every bike until this BMW I have now, I have always used a top box as main luggage. Very little else needed. On the BMW the vario top box cannot hold my helmet. Which is annoying. So I do need a side case if I want to leave it safely with the bike.

Curious how far the panniers stick out on the BMW. Ever had to pay out to a motorist whos car you hit?

ghulst

The cool thing about the BMW vario cases, is that they can easily be made slimmer by about 10cm. When you do that on both sides, that really makes a difference. With the Beemer I have not hit any cars. However, when I had my steamer with large Hepco & Becker cases, it did happen. I was on my way to Paris when I was filtering through traffic at Gent and I hit someone's mirror. That was a bit of a terrible moment. Fortunately the mirror was still in one piece and the car driver could not really say whether I hit him or he came to the left. So, we left it there and I sped off to Paris. But I can tell you that I pushed hard for quite some time, to make sure he couldn't catch up with me with second thoughts. ;)

Sin_Tiger

It's hard not to go full trimarran mode with the size of the Steamer end cans.  :iagree top boxes are practical having had to use one daily but I just feel visually bikes look a bit unbalanced and I've yet to see a sexy looking top box, don't start  ;)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TC3

Quote from: ghulst on October 20, 2021, 04:57:49 PM
The cool thing about the BMW vario cases, is that they can easily be made slimmer by about 10cm. When you do that on both sides, that really makes a difference. With the Beemer I have not hit any cars. However, when I had my steamer with large Hepco & Becker cases, it did happen. I was on my way to Paris when I was filtering through traffic at Gent and I hit someone's mirror. That was a bit of a terrible moment. Fortunately the mirror was still in one piece and the car driver could not really say whether I hit him or he came to the left. So, we left it there and I sped off to Paris. But I can tell you that I pushed hard for quite some time, to make sure he couldn't catch up with me with second thoughts. ;)
That is cool did not know you could get expanding hard panniers!

TC3

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 20, 2021, 07:05:57 PM
It's hard not to go full trimarran mode with the size of the Steamer end cans.  :iagree top boxes are practical having had to use one daily but I just feel visually bikes look a bit unbalanced and I've yet to see a sexy looking top box, don't start  ;)
Blimey if I had that wide a set up would be having claims against my insurance all the time

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 20, 2021, 07:05:57 PM
I've yet to see a sexy looking top box, don't start  ;)
Nope, not starting as I haven't seen one either. I have a massive Givi one which is quite convenient, but looks like you have mounted a giant bean on the back of the bike. ;) It is not on the bike now.

Quote from: TC3 on October 20, 2021, 07:12:17 PM
That is cool did not know you could get expanding hard panniers!
As far as I am aware, BMW is the only one who does them and only for the GS. But the mechanism is nice.

TC3

So it would seem that the blue bike shown on release has been giving to a Triumph dealer in Portugal. I contacted asking if they would send a photo showing what the support mount for the pannier attached to the footpeg looked like without the pannier and they were kind enough to send a pic. Good to see it looks fine and as I will only use the panniers twice a year it is easy enough to remove the supports if I want.