News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The new Tiger 660 Sport

Started by ghulst, October 10, 2021, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

So, Triumph has taken to the 'new' middleweight adventure market with a new 660 sport. Undoubtedly the sudden release has got to do with Aprilia also launching a 660 a couple of weeks ago, but it is an interesting development. The 660cc market seems to be there. Where 800's were the middleweights first, I guess that 85hp on a 660 puts that firmly in the class the Tiger 800 was in at its launch. There are rumors of Honda bringing back the Transalp as well, so this is going to be a pretty competitive market segment that had little action besides BMW's 700GS.

2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Not seen one in the flesh yet, but from the photos I've seen, I quite like it without luggage.

A couple of observations gleaned from the Triumph configurator, the blue & graphite models are £100 less than a red one. Both front LED fog lights and moulded belly pan appear to be free, but everything else is extra, and to my mind, expensive.

Things I would expect to be included, based on my 955i, heated grips, hand guards and a luggage rack and the mounting plate required to mount it add an additional £500 almost. Mind you, looking at it from the side, with the top box, it looks like an after thought & seems to stick out quite a way. ti also seems to mount wuite high. Think I'd have to look at one to be sure

One of these with the bits I feel would be necessary, luggage, the Triumph module, USB charger, hand guards would come to well over £10,000.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

Quote from: Lee337 on October 10, 2021, 06:45:54 PM
Not seen one in the flesh yet, but from the photos I've seen, I quite like it without luggage.

A couple of observations gleaned from the Triumph configurator, the blue & graphite models are £100 less than a red one. Both front LED fog lights and moulded belly pan appear to be free, but everything else is extra, and to my mind, expensive.

Things I would expect to be included, based on my 955i, heated grips, hand guards and a luggage rack and the mounting plate required to mount it add an additional £500 almost. Mind you, looking at it from the side, with the top box, it looks like an after thought & seems to stick out quite a way. ti also seems to mount wuite high. Think I'd have to look at one to be sure

One of these with the bits I feel would be necessary, luggage, the Triumph module, USB charger, hand guards would come to well over £10,000.

I think the press images illustrate that Triumph really is setting this up for urban exploring more than anything else. It is a sports model, so it has a smaller front wheel and is aimed at riding fun. The Girly is in a different league altogether. I am not surprised those extra's come as accessoires. Heated grips have been an extra on bikes for ages. The 900 pro's have it, but few other bikes do. A luggage rack? Well, that would have been nice to include, but without it, the Tiger 660 looks a lot lighter and more nimble. Also, a lot of urban commuters use backpacks. ;)

I don't think we can compare this to other more rugged Tigers. However, I do think it is an interesting offering from Triumph.

London_Phil

Like the 1050, if it didn't have Tiger in its name, would it really be a bike of the current Tiger line?

ghulst

Interesting question Phil. I guess it depends on how you define the "Tiger line". Though that is a completely separate discussion, we might as well give it a go. In the nineteen thirties the Tiger name was actually much more racing inspired than anything and that stayed that way until Triumph stopped making Tigers. When the Steamer came out as a Tiger, the whole concept clearly shifted to offroad capable bikes that could really carry the all-road flag for Triumph. But it obviously was all show, as Triumph never took part in the Dakar and just used the styling for marketing purposes. I do feel the Girly was quite a bit more road oriented already. The 1050 really took it the next step towards a new definition. Triumph seemed to have thought the same thing. After all, the 1050 Tiger Sport has been sold for years after the introduction of the Tiger 800 as well as the 1200. Both would be machines that you could take offroad. So, based on the history of the model name, I guess that the Tiger name is more synonymous with motorcycles with a higher and straight up seating position, with plenty of ground clearance, than it is with real offroad machinery.

But those are just my two cents. ;)

London_Phil

Agree mostly with above, but I feel the 1050 and 660 are really not part of the current Tiger Ethos.
More an Order Branch of the Tiger Family line, based on Animal Kingdom classification (Well it is, allegedly a Tiger)

ghulst

That is kind of my point. What if Triumph has defined the ethos differently from how we have defined it? ;)

London_Phil

Quote from: ghulst on October 11, 2021, 04:49:13 PM
That is kind of my point. What if Triumph has defined the ethos differently from how we have defined it? ;)

As a Businessman You should know, we are the customer, therefore always right........hehe

ghulst

Hahahaha, yes, we are. Obviously. But tell me when that has ever convinced an enterprise. ;)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on October 11, 2021, 05:04:32 PM
we are the customer, therefore always right........hehe

That doesn't always work in this house  :cp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Tiger is a very broad range isn't it?  In fairness there has only been two Hinckley models that are genuinely all-road ready, the new rally pro and the 800xc's.  Yes, before someone says it I know you can force a xrt, Girly or a steamer down a track but there is a difference... :icon_rolleyes:  Even now, the GT outsells the rally pro despite the later's absolute brilliance.  Tiger's therefore are road bikes with a (varying) hint of all-road readiness.

I think it is a good thing Triumph are making more affordable bikes.  Even absolutely loaded 660 at £10,000 it is a lot more affordable than the £15 to £20k base bikes seem to be selling at recently.  A specc'ed up 900 rally pro is £14-15k odd (before you add turquoise paint, Mat-tiger!). A fully spec'ed R1200gsa now being £21,250.  You can spec a ducati multistrada way beyond this by simply looking through the catalogue and thinking about it.  Having a flick through just now, I got to £24k on the configurator before getting bored, seriously, how much machined billet aluminium can anyone want before they just buy a cnc machine themselves?

What is good about Triumph naming bikes 'Tiger' is that it means the owners can come on this website. :eusa_clap
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

I love the value for money on the Tiger Rally Pro. The options that that bike comes with as standard... But the 660 is a great entry-level bike that is affordable for most to get into three cylinder fun.

By the way, as I was going over your post, I am amazed at the price of the Ducati. I mean, I don't even like the V4S as much as I liked the 1250GS. ;) I actually thought they were closer together, but if you choose the V4S Sport, that thing is insanely priced. I did miss the KTM 1290 Adventure S in your list as that is about the same price. In fact, when you spec them with electronics packages and luggage etc. the BMW, the Honda AT and the KTM are not far off each other. The Ducati is in another realm. I am looking forward to their Desert X. Oh, and Ducati did introduce the V2, just to get the prices down. (Really trying hard to not do any cheap puns on the V2 name and it probably not making a big impact when it lands in the UK...)

But anyway, I think the 660 is a pretty smart step by Triumph.

Sin_Tiger

You're right guys, affordability has to be a better way for most as it's unlikely to be the sole mode of transport, the running costs will also be a great attraction. I'm still  :icon_scratch: about the lack of cruise control though.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Ghulst, it's only German V2's we need worry about.  Italian ones would break down before they get here.

With regard to other matters I have never had a bike with cruise control and am not sure I want one either as in the car it only tends to be useful on the motorway.  And I try not to ride on the motorway.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Well, if you don't want to use it, you don't have to. ;) I don't have cruise control on my GS, but I wouldn't mind having it. In fact, I rode the KTM with their adaptive cruise control and you could use that in many places. Well, not in the twisties, obviously. ;) But I did like it a lot. Also, I use my bike for a lot of commuting, so then having a cruise control is great for those motorway stretches. And it can save you money... Not as much on fuel as on speeding tickets. :D