News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

MOT Failure & Servicing

Started by HockleyBoy, October 22, 2021, 02:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Like others on this forum, I recently noticed that my MOT had run out recently so I quickly booked it in and took it down to be tested. Wasnt expecting any real problems as havent ridden much this year (3,5k miles) as mostly working from home so was very surprised when my bike failed on head bearings at 10k miles!
Tester said he had never failed one at such low mileage before so am hoping this is maybe a one off on my bike and not a general quality issue.

Any way, new head bearings fitted so its back down for retest in the morning.

And now my servicing moan, whilst I was in a Triumph Dealer in Essex yesterday, I thought I would ask how much the 12k service would be as am due one soonish and was interested in main dealer prices. It will be around, wait for it, £900 I was told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wont be going there thats for sure
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

ghulst

£900? You can buy half a Steamer for that kind of price!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Quote from: ghulst on October 22, 2021, 05:15:14 PM
£900? You can buy half a Steamer for that kind of price!

yes, but like a mermaid, you need to ensure you get the best half....

ghulst

Quote from: London_Phil on October 22, 2021, 05:19:15 PM
yes, but like a mermaid, you need to ensure you get the best half....

:rfl
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

I am so glad I do my own servicing, even the big ones  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

What're you like Phil  :rfl

That must be really unusual, wonder what's caused that to happen  :icon_scratch: I hope you have some decent independents around your area. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders what part PCP has to play in this  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 22, 2021, 08:34:16 PM
What're you like Phil  :rfl

That must be really unusual, wonder what's caused that to happen  :icon_scratch: I hope you have some decent independents around your area. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders what part PCP has to play in this  :icon_rolleyes:

What, Angel dust?

I suppose the dealer could have been high on something when he quoted £900  :icon_eek:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Nick Calne

Wheelies. Wheelies damage head bearings.

And sadly £900 for a service with the valve clearance in is not far off what dealers charge these days.  I have a friend who got his 800 done at Fowlers and it wasn't much away from that.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?