News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

995i help needed

Started by ghulst, October 29, 2021, 11:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok, I know this is not about a Girly, but I posted the question here, because of the fact that the 955i was offered in the Girly and this obviously is the place where the experts live. ;)

Anyway, I have been eyeing this project. It is a Speed Triple T595 with the 955i engine. They replaced the forks in the gearbox as they showed wear, but then the bike started making uncomfortable noises soon after. I am not familiar with this engine and so I turn to the wisdom of the board. There is a short video posted on YouTube where you can hear a rattle in the engine. It seems to rev along when they rev the engine. Which means that it is most probably something like a bearing or similar. If I listen to it, it could be all kinds of bearings and most spell a lot of work and possibly an engine out job. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BI8Cc03NJ8w
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Just a guess but could it be the timing chain?
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

ghulst

In my opinion, everything really is possible... The bike is about two hours away from me, so I am not in a position to just walk by and start it and listen. In fact, I think the owner has not started it again since that movie... So that is why I am trying the Girly wisdom here, to see if anyone has had the same experience.

Sin_Tiger

Really difficult to say from that without running it through the gears. Gearbox issues are pretty rare, although I'm not a 955 experienced. That looks like a genuine TOR carbon end can, which is probably quite rare. T595 was the Daytona variant, the Speedy was T509, there's not so many of them around so it could be a nice project  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

On the one hand, it could be a nice project, but as the seller is firm on the price and the bike currently looks even less good than in the video... I think I will pass on this one. He offered it for €1100 where I can buy a nice working one for €2000. If it's bearings that have gone wrong, that €900 difference will evaporate quickly enough.