News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike Prices

Started by Chris Canning, November 02, 2021, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

With 6 bikes of varying ages, i'm Pleased to see some going up in price...but blimey the 955 Tiger is still a bargain, i've Actually had mine sorry... ours over 20 years  :icon_eek:

Nick Calne

:iagree

New bikes are getting very expensive too.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Lee337

I believe both mine are worth more than I paid for them now, I paid £1600 fcvor my 06 Tiger and £0 for the Trophy. Mind you, it probably cost more than it's worth to get it back on the road  :icon_mrgreen:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Lee337 on November 03, 2021, 12:57:35 PM
and £0 for the Trophy.

I'll give you a tenner for it  ;)

The Girlies are strange, very capable, comfortable and generally reliable, could it have something to do with the looks? The early 1150 GS's were cheap, not so dissimilar, for a while but the penny has dropped there and as Nick says, you can have a lot of fun for less money.

You've got to wonder why you'd pay more for a half decent, or even lovely Caspian Blue, Steamer than for a lower mileage and probably nearer stock Girly, fad and fashion  :m
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

If you have a mo, Google H&H motorcycle auction held at the bike museum a week ago, just make sure you are sat down when you do......

ghulst

I do think that the Girly is an acquired taste. I have never really been impressed with the fairing, the roundings of the tank, and the very plush dashboard with nice facias on the dials. The BMW 1150 is slightly different in that respect as it had less power, at least as much weight, and strange eyes, but it did have a very successful TV series with two decently known gentlemen. As they were doing what every BMW GS owner dreams of doing while they ride their GS to Starbucks, the 1150 will be worth more in the near future. It caught their imagination and is still catching their wallet. Especially a good low mileage GSA demands a premium these days. I am not sure that will happen with the Girly in the same way. Though I strongly believe they are a very underrated bike. So, if you need any advice, go buy one today. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

Just for comparison the best Girly I can see on ebay is a 2005 model, with 12k miles and it is just £2750.

The same money gets you a 2001 BMW r1150gs with 62k miles.

:^_^

The best bike I could see for under £10k was a 2020 tiger 1050 with 1k miles for £9k

Now that's a bargain!

blacktiger

Girly prices probably held down because of its plastic tank. Especially now E10 will make it expand even worse.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nick Calne

I think it is more fashion. It wasn't too fashionable in 99, and is even less so now.

Sin_Tiger

Makes you wonder why there were so many sold. Wait long enough and everything comes back into fashion, that's my excuse for the drawer full of flairs  :augie However, if they weren't fashionable in the first place, I guess that rule doesn't apply  ;)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Sometimes rarety creates value. I mean look at the values of a Morris Marina. They all fell to bits years ago except the one that was stored in a dry garage for 40 years.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1356099
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ghulst

So, by that you are saying that the girly really is built too well. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Nothing wrong with well built girlies - although I wouldn't let Mrs L heasr me say that  :bug_eye
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: blacktiger on November 08, 2021, 09:15:36 AM
Sometimes rarety creates value. I mean look at the values of a Morris Marina.

:iagree I have wondered if there's a newer "trend", people looking for something that hasn't been done just because they might feel that they're now small fish unnoticeable in the larger Cafe Racer, or whatever genre you care to mention, pond. Let's make the previously Uncool = Cool  :icon_scratch: perhaps I need to buy an Ariel 3  :nono

I still can't for the life of me understand why a very original, tidy, low mileage Daytona 1000 generates sod all interest @ £1000, they made less than 600 of them so there are probably less than half that left  :icon_scratch:

Lee337

For a grand, I'd probably have a punt. Mrs L wouldn't be too pleased although she collects shoes & I would guess spends that much a year on them.  :^_^