News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 900 2000 good choice for first bike ?

Started by Nanjo, April 12, 2022, 10:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanjo

Decide to enter the moto world. Really like triumph and Tiger 900. Is it a 2000 50k kms for 3500€ the right value ? Should I expect i maintenance costs ? Is it reliability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Calne

Hello,

We'll need a bit more information to be able to help you... Where are you in the world?  What condition is the bike in?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nanjo

Starting my license looking for my first
motorcycle, found a 2000 tiger 900 for 4000€ looking to know if it's good choice.

Nick Calne

That will depend on a few things. 

It is quite a physically big bike and reasonably fast too.  If you can cope with it, then yes very much so but most people start with something smaller.  Tigers need a bit of looking after and maintenance as bigger capacity bikes tend to, but nothing out of the ordinary for the size.

IYou need to ask what you are buying it for too.  If it is just for a short commute there are easier bikes to ride.  If it is for longer distances it will be ideal.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Welcome to the forum! Tigers are fun bikes that you can use for almost anything you throw at them. However, your best bet would be to first get your license and then try to get a test ride. Depending on what you took your lessons on, the bike might be a lot higher up and heavier than you are used to. It will grow on you and you will learn to handle it, but to do that, it is important that you are comfortable on it.
Other than that, these bikes like to be maintained, just like any other bike. (Even Honda's, don't let them tell you otherwise. ;) ) So, at 50K km the engine still has a lot of life left it in, if it has been maintained well. Do check for the usual signs of abuse or neglect. Worn out tires, stone chips, grease/oil in places where it does not belong, chain and sprockets, and scratchings that may point out that the bike has had a lay down at some point. Depending on where you are in Europe, €4000 should get you a good bike. If you tell us what country you are in, we might be able to put that into a better perspective. ;)

Enjoy learning to ride!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nanjo

Quote from: ghulst on April 15, 2022, 09:11:26 AMWelcome to the forum! Tigers are fun bikes that you can use for almost anything you throw at them. However, your best bet would be to first get your license and then try to get a test ride. Depending on what you took your lessons on, the bike might be a lot higher up and heavier than you are used to. It will grow on you and you will learn to handle it, but to do that, it is important that you are comfortable on it.
Other than that, these bikes like to be maintained, just like any other bike. (Even Honda's, don't let them tell you otherwise. ;) ) So, at 50K km the engine still has a lot of life left it in, if it has been maintained well. Do check for the usual signs of abuse or neglect. Worn out tires, stone chips, grease/oil in places where it does not belong, chain and sprockets, and scratchings that may point out that the bike has had a lay down at some point. Depending on where you are in Europe, €4000 should get you a good bike. If you tell us what country you are in, we might be able to put that into a better perspective. ;)

Enjoy learning to ride!
Yes, first I'm going to take my license, stating next week. Meanwhile studying possibilities i like BMW R1150, never seat on one, prices I found, 4500 € to 5000€. Im in Portugal. How can I reduce risk from buying a moto with problems ?

Sin_Tiger

Get on line with the local bike forums and try to find someone with knowledge of the bikes that interest you near you to help guide you.

There's too much to go into on any forum if you have limited experience, a local "guide" is the best way to go.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nanjo