News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello again!

Started by threepot, February 05, 2022, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Hi everyone. It's been a while,mainly because I no longer own a Tiger🙁 A change in my circumstances,and change of address meant I struggled to store the bike at the house I'm living in ATM,basically due to its size. Strangely,no problems getting my super3 in due to the lower,and narrower bars. So the steamer went back in April last year.I do miss it. It was a great bike. Took it up to 80k with no issues during my  ownership,and it took me on some memorable trips👍 Bought a Honda cb500x from a friend's partner who needed money to buy a hot tub! But I couldn't gel with it,mainly to its fuelling at low revs,and a bit gutless . But to be fair,it was only 49hp.
I started to look up an alternative,and eyed up a bike I'd always wanted. A 900 tbird. When I bought my super3 from Fowler's in Cardiff back in 98,it was a toss up against that,and  a black tbird. I found one on eBay from a dealer in Stourbridge. I didn't go and view because we were under lockdown,but the guy assured me the bike was good. So I did a deal on the grounds that I'd check the bike on delivery. I agrred £2800,and payed a deposit. Cheap for a third I thought? The bike turned up a week later. The battery was flat,so I swapped my S3 battery,and just about got it running. Tried to take for a test,but the carbs were so dirty,it just wouldn't run properly. I tried the clutch,gearbox,and everything else seemed ok? So I thought..carbs shouldn't be a problem,and the bike was generally in good condition. So I did the deal. Fast forward two weeks after cleaning carbs,checking shims,oil change,I took the bike for its mot. Noticed a 'knock' from engine under load,but the gearbox wasn't quite as nice as the other triumphs I've had,so due to the fact that it was running so well I put it down to that? But unsure,I phoned the seller,told him about the problem,and he offered a collection,and refund. Then he phoned back,and asked how much id accept to keep the bike? We agreed on £800,enough to purchase a replacement engine he stated! Funnily enough,there was one on eBay at the time for that amount! Think he knew all along there was an issue?
To cut a longish story short..I stripped the engine down,couldn't find an issue with the box,but all the main,and rod bearings were 'knackered'! I didn't buy the replacement engine on eBay,and after pricing up replacement parts,decided to replace the bearings. A call to Fowler's..they matched replacement bearings,some new gaskets,and since the rebuild,I'm glad to say the bike is running fine👍 Didn't cost much either? About £125. So really,every ride is a bonus really,as I didn't expect the bike to run again.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

Welcome back. Hope everything is heading in the right direction for you.
Lets see the bike then?

Lee337

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Nick Calne

Hello. Nice to here from you. What you don't know about triumphs of the era isn't worth knowing so it's good to have you back for that reason alone.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Great to see you've still got the itch and can manage to scratch it now   :wings

Well that was a bit of a faff, on the plus side, you'll be a lot more confident riding it when you know what the guts are like. Just glad you caught it before any damage was done to the crank  :thumbsup

I see a set of T300 carb to head rubbers in your future  ;) Is the pillion seat comfy  :icon_mrgreen:

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Thanks for posting the photo Nick.
Hi ST. Luckily,the crank was fine. I just polished it up,and cleaned it. None of the bearings were bad enough to damage it?
95 Super111
96 Tiger