News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 900 Steamer won't start

Started by macjaffa, March 12, 2022, 01:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Now there's some motivation for you  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Madruss

How did you go with the starting issue?
My broken rear engine mounts entailed a fairly major strip down. At least I was lucky enough to have the mounts repaired without the drama of stripping the engine.
It's back together now, just waiting on a parts bike to arrive so I can pilfer a few bits to return mine to the road.
2 years in the shed is far too long. 
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Madruss on January 21, 2023, 12:38:39 PMIt's back together now, just waiting on a parts bike to arrive 

Seafreight  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Madruss

We have an inland sea currently on both sides of Northern Australia  :icon_rolleyes:
The first major tropical "wet' for years. Some areas have been receiving 500mm per day for a week at a time  :bug_eye
My bike transporter will be on a "touring style" detour out of the flood areas, so an unknown date of arrival.
Regards Russ

fishnbiker

Quote from: macjaffa on March 20, 2022, 12:18:15 PMThank you for the help everyone,

...it started!  I meant to start it all gently, but I must admit I forgot myself and indulged in a few excited revs, rather quickly, but it idled happily for 20 minutes. Didn't start again after that, but I think I've lost the sprag clutch.  Would it even start with the sprag clutch gone, though?

Now it has at least started, I assume it's worth a little more effort.  I'll grab a Haynes manual and hopefully a sprag clutch...I guess I have to look into that now.  I can take the case off the engine on the bike's right hand side, so I'm assuming I'm one of the lucky ones who don't have to remove and split the engine. 

There is a 1996 sprag clutch available online...is this fine for a 1995 Steamer?

If you have a 95, you WILL have to split the cases. My 95 sprag gave out after an argument with a soccer ball sized boulder in a washout on remote roads in Northwest Mexico. I was able to ride it back to Canada using only push starts or parking on downhill. While still in Mexico I offered a free Tecate beer to anyone needed to help push start me. it only took a 6 pack to get 5,600km home. But the noise the sprag made turned me off the concept of a major failure, anywhere.

I ended up 120 km beyond the bottom of these switchbacks before my sprag issues started. Headlight shows the engine not turned off for short stops like taking a photo. Lots of fun getting up that hill with a 19T front sprocket & no starter.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Lee337

Bloody hel;l, I doubt if I could stand up that long.

Some cracking scenery there though.  :><
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Sin_Tiger

fishnbiker

Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Madruss

Quote from: Lee337 on January 26, 2023, 01:05:45 PMBloody hel;l, I doubt if I could stand up that long.

Some cracking scenery there though.  :><

Real Mountains & real mountain roads  :augie
That's an adventure  :thumbsup
Regards Russ