Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wales, here I come

Started by Lee337, April 15, 2022, 11:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic


As the planning for my next charity ride progresses, there's still a little time to get Tallulah sorted for my ride from Sunset to Sunrise. Leaving Southstack, near Holyhead at around 9.40pm on 25 June and heading overnight to Skegness to raise funds for Macmillan.

I make no excuses for publicising my ride here in the hope that I may be able to raise some additional money for this worthy UK cause.

If you have a few pennies to spare, please select the link below and sponsor me.

I'll post a writeup of my journey when I'm done (or doene in, whichever comes first  :icon_eek: )
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.


Just 5 weeks to go. Tallulah has been serviced, Satnav wired in and now all ready to go. Could probably do with a clean, but as I'm heading to North Wales at the same time my parents are holidaying there, it's bound to rain.  :^_^
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.


Still, clean it. It will look much nicer and you'll be happier to get ready to ride. ;) Or at least, that's what I do. Then after the ride, it takes me ages to clean the bike again. You don't want to see the GS right now... ;)
BMW R 1200 GS 2010 - KTM 640 Adventure S - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011


Well, I'm just about recovered. I left home, heading for North Wales on Thursday after packing the bike with my newly obtained Triumph pannier inner bags. Clothes in one, spare gloves & shoes in the iother, while the top box carried all those bits & pieces that you usually pack just in case. That included a flask of water, another flask of hot water, a travel mug and a small pot of instant coffee. A first aid kit, some cable ties, a side stand puck, waterproof winter glocves and my disclock.

My first stop for fuel was around 120 miles in to the journey. I thought I'd better top the tank before hitting the M6 motorway as I suspected fuel prices were going to be the usual rip off. Well, I stopped at services for coffee & cake at Keele services and as suspected, the price of E10 petrol was 205.9p per litre. Was a bit pissed off as the garage I stopped at before getting on to the motorway was 206.9, and garages continually state they're not profitering.  :icon_scratch:

Any way, I got to my overnight stop, just over teh Wales border in good time and parked up for the night.

Day 2 saw me riding around the foothills of Snowden before heading off to Bangor to meet my parents for lunch (they were on holiday). A good lunch in a really friendly pub, then it was off again to overnight stop 2, in a place called Valley around 5 miles from Holyhead.

AQnother day when Tallulah operformed faultlessly and a second day where the weather was pretty good. Yes it rained (it's Wales) and yes, it was windy (it's Wales), but a good days riding.

Day 3 was a somewhat different day. First stop was in Morrisons Holyhead for breakfast & coffee with a handful of other riders. Nothing of note really happened until we left for RSPB South Stack on the tip of Holy Island. Just as we were leaving, one bike failed to start, a Moto Guzzi Norge, which being italian, decided that the torrential downpour last night, was a good enough excuse to not work. After around an hour trying to trace the fault, eventually the start button was bypassed and the bike started. Not that the starter button was the fault as was discovered later.

So off to South Stack with a tank full of Wales' finest at 194.9p per litre, where we waited... Sunset was 21:50 but as we had to get 97 bikes away to arrive at Segness before sunrise the following morning, a distance of 257 miles (413 km), the first group left around 21:25. Leading the ride was the organiser on his Moto Guzzi Norge, yes the one that had been hastily repaired earlier that day. 1 mile in to the ride we pulled over - there was a Moto Guzzi Norge that was suddenly no longer able to lead us anywhere. There had been a catastrophic failure of electrickery andf the bike ground to a halt. It seems that by bypassing the start switch, we'd not fixed it. From what I can gather, and I haven't had the full story yet, the bike wouldn't start because of the charging cirduit wasn't working. As he rode along the main road out of Holyhead, the lights failed,the engine management light came on and pretty much everything else reliant on electric went off.

A quick change to the lead bike & we set off again. Around 20 minutes in to the ride the heavens opened but luckily it had stopped raining within 15 - 20 minutes & the rest of the ride was dry, if a little cold. We had three fuel stops, Flint, Uttoxeter and Lincoln where we stopped for around 30 minutes each time Tallulah filled up with fuel at Uttoxeter, I filled up with coffee at all the stops.

Of the 97 bikes that set off, 95 arrived in Skegness at around 04:15 on Sunday morning. Two bikes didn't make it, the Moto Guzzi who was eventually rescued by the RAC at 10:36 on Sunday, yes 13 hours later, the other was a bike drop at Uttoxeter. Battered & bruised, the rider decided to go home instead of carrying on.

At Skegness after a group photo overlooking the sea, it was off to a community hall for tea/coffee & a bacon roll all donated by local businesses for which we were asked to donate £1.50 towards Macmillan. After a 50 minute rest, oit was back on Tallulah and the final 40 mile ride home.

Tallulah performed as she should, no hint of misbehaving. Even the panniers & topbox stayed dry - actually there was one smapp issue, the front left indicator stopped working. A quick look at the first stop and it turned out to be the bullet connector had come loose. 2 minutes later she was all fixed.

We raised over £11,000 and there's still money comming in. As for Tallulah, it's the first time I've ridden her any real distance over a couple fo days. I rode her 160 miles home when I first got her & have had a couple of hundred mile days, but never any overnight stops, so I think I may have to plan in a few more at some point.

Tallulah is now resting in the garage, not washed, just unpacked with the panniers & topbox removed. As I'm going away for a few days while I have time off work, she's also had her chain put around her rear wheel & has been covered up. She had the last word though, she showed her displeasure at being left behind when I brushed past her to put a lock on Tabitha, I caught my leg on her footpeg and even through the cover and my trousers, the Tiger attacked & took a chunk out of my leg. :bug_eye  :nono

Naughty Tiger   :icon_twisted:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.


Sounds like a grand ride! I'm off on my first long trip of the season next week. Hope the weather is friendlier than it was for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not be big, but I'm slow.


I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?


That looked like a great ride. Well done.  :thumbsup
BMW R 1200 GS 2010 - KTM 640 Adventure S - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011