News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RPM’s

Started by Aeschere, October 24, 2022, 08:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Hello!

Just wondering. How many RPM's do you ride with?
I am usually cruising around at around 3k but started to wonder if that's to low.

Most of the time I shift up around 4K, unsure if the bike can handle much. It usually sounds like it is cursing me when I go higher.

Curious to hear what you folks ride with. Thanks!

Lee337

Depends on whether I'm just lazily cruising around, which is around 3k or getting a move on, around 4.5 - 5k. If I'm riding on my own taking in the scenery, I tend to take it easy. I find I have more control at higher revs though so tend to drop a gear.

When I was practicing for my advanced test, my instructor insisted he never dropped his revs much below 4k & spent most of his time in 3rd on his BMW GS.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Madruss

These triples sound better at 5 grand but riding revs about 3
First time I ever heard a Triumph triple at "full noise" was an X75 Hurricane depart the James Ruse Tavern out near Kellyville in '78.
It revved like a chainsaw.  :love10
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Mart

Got Venoms on mine. Sounds wonderful above 5K - I visit often...

London_Phil

Coming from a Shovelhead Harley, with a 4 speed box to a 6 speed 900 triple, I really struggle with running above 4K.
Now I have the 800Xc, I still don't like the top half of the rev range, but agree that being in too high a gear, in to low revs, can leave you at risk of having no response to changing road conditions.
Trying to keep up with the rest of the pack does force me to use the bike more in the midrange, and it does feel far more responsive, I just need to stop assuming it's going to Grenade at 4500 rpm....

fishnbiker

After 20 years of gravel & backroads, my revs are still between 3~4000 for cruising, up to 6,000 at times for acceleration on gravel - 7500+ on pavement.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Sin_Tiger

With stock 18/45 gearing, they're happy to cruise A roads 3-4K in top, I only feel the need to change down for an overtake on the twistier roads with shorter visible sections. They seem to cope with pulling from 2K without grumbling only in 1-3. My experience is that there's nothing to be gained running under 3K and they will run smooth and responsive all the way up to 8K. Although the rev limit is only 8500 on paper and the tacho, the ignition cut won't kick in until just over 9k.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint