News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Next up an FJR1300

Started by Lee337, July 18, 2022, 08:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

I've had a Yamaha FJR1300 for the weekend., did around 300 miles over the two days is stupidly hot weather to be wearing full bike gear (and I lost 2kg) but what about the bike?

Not as heavy as I thought and the seat height was quite low compared to my usual steed. At first, I thought it was relatively comfortable, the seat height, the bar reach and the adjustible screen height made it a doddle to ride. Perhaps the footpegs could have been a little lower and I'm not that long in the leg, probably only 32" (a little over 810mm).

I also liked the idea of cruise control but when set at 30mph, it did seem to be a little jerky irrespective of the gear I was in. At 60/70mph it seemed smooth enough though.

It's the first shaft drive bike I've ridden for probably 30 years and technology has come a long way since then. No mtter how hard I accelerated in sport mode, I couldn't feel that torque trying to turn the bike like early examples and once I got used to the balance, it was surprisingly nippy even on the twisties, probably due to a lower centre of gravity than I'm used to.

Now for fuel consumption, the total fuel bill was just shy of £48 for 328 miles, at current fuel prices (£1.869 per litre) it works out at approx. 57mpg (25.6l / 4.54 = 5.6 then 328 / 5.6). Mind you, as it was one of the blood bikes, I didn't ride it over the speed limit and it was on the 'Touring' map as opposed to the 'Sport' mode for around 80% of the time. I did find it quick to accelerate in either mode and at a stately 60mph the engine seemed barely ticking over in 6th gear - it was actually around 4000rpm but pretty quiet & nowhere near half way up the rev range. I initially found it quite difficult keeping within legal speeds, something I needed to do as despite being liveried up with everything except blue lights, they are tracked & it was drummed in to us that if we consistently break the speed limit, we'll be suspended.

I still had a numb arse after around an hour & after two, my shoulders were begining to ache. Riding back from Grimsby to home, a distance of some 73 miles on Sunday afternoon, having already ridden for two hours with only a 10 minute break, I was not in a good way, my feet ached, as did my back, shoulders and neck. Bearing in mind in mid june, I rode Tallulah 260 miles with two 20 minute stops and was still up for another 30 mile run home), I couldn't wait to get off the damn thing.

So, it's far more modern than my old 2006 Tiger or my 1993 Trophy for that matter, it's got more gadgets, a digital dash which unlike the NC750 I rode earlier in the year, you could easily see, it gave enough information (although I never managed to figure out how to reset the trip), cruise control and despite how my body complained, a reasonably padded seat, but I just didn't gel with it over a long distance.

Would I buy one having now given one a good test, well, no.

No doubt it suits some people and to be fair, I thought it was a good bike, but if after two days riding, I need a wheelchair to get me from the garage to the back door, it's probably not the one for me - not that I'm thinking of trading in Tallulah, after three years ownership, I've got her just where I want her.

Wonder what they'll give me next time?
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

But how much blood did it use on the trip?

Lee337

Probably less than an armfull  :icon_lol:
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

Quote from: Lee337 on July 18, 2022, 11:26:09 PMProbably less than an armfull  :icon_lol:

I'm old enough to get the reference...

ghulst

Apparently they do handle quite well. And I guess it is the same with most other bikes. After purchase, investments in suspension and saddles are the biggest steps towards a bike that suits you. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011