News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Newbie

Started by gcloys, May 11, 2022, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcloys

Quote from: fishnbiker on June 02, 2022, 12:26:18 AMI found my Mustang pegs also fit my 1991 BMW R100GS, with a minor adjustment (drilling a 1/8" hole) to locate the return spring. Maybe take a look at this idea from BMW supporters.
I will check this out for sure.  I may have the welder see what he can do about pegs as well.  I don't mind the riding position too much for up to an hour.  It is the same way on my Cagiva but not quite as high as the tiger. I'm 6'5" 220lbs. with 36" inseam but am still flexible, albeit a bit stiffer at the end of the ride. I might just drop some highway pegs on for different leg positions.  Stock seat is fine but may source a used Corbin or similar.

Sin_Tiger

Do you mean the bracket for the under slider has been cut off the frame? Perhaps it just got mangled when the nylon wore through and got caught by the chain. I may have a drawing of the frame bracket somewhere.

A common leak on the casing top is from the alternator O ring, they are easy to nip when refitting the alternator.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 04, 2022, 01:02:57 AMDo you mean the bracket for the under slider has been cut off the frame? Perhaps it just got mangled when the nylon wore through and got caught by the chain. I may have a drawing of the frame bracket somewhere.

A common leak on the casing top is from the alternator O ring, they are easy to nip when refitting the alternator.
The bracket welded to the frame has broken off.  Just back from 110 miler and she's running like a top with no oil leaks, as off yet, with the new Honda clutch pushrod seal. 

Sin_Tiger

The photo is one that has been welded on in situ, not perfect but close enough.

The as original photos are not a great angle unfortunately.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 05, 2022, 09:16:52 PMThe photo is one that has been welded on in situ, not perfect but close enough.

The as original photos are not a great angle unfortunately.
Fantastic! Thank you so much for the pics and drawing. Could I share these on the Tiger Steamer Facebook page.  That is the best shot of what you're dealing with regards to the hanger. :><

Sin_Tiger

Be my guest. Below is how the later VIN bracket looked, I suspect Triumph made it a little less susceptible to breaking off by adding the return angle.

gcloys

Mine is a 98 and has the 2 nubs on the right but no bracket.  Thanks for the picture as is really shows where it needs to be welded.

gcloys

Showa fork bushings? Quickly searching the forums with no luck, off to measure.  Anyone have a U.S. source for a kit.  AllBalls kit is for KYB.

Sin_Tiger

Showa fork bushes and seals are fractionally smaller outer diameter, the fork leg inner diameter is smaller than the KYB.

Check on the Sprint Manufacturing (triumphparts.co.uk), I recall Trevor lists both makes / sizes.

gcloys

Thanks for the reply.  He does have them, but as I'm in the States, I've sourced/crossed referenced the bushes to the Xr650L, Xr600 and, XR400 etc. not sure about the seals but I don't believe those are as difficult to find.   

Sin_Tiger

Sorry I can't help you with cross referencing. If the bushes are the right sizes, then there's a good chance the seals for that model will also fit.

If you have success with them, it might help someone else to know  :thumbsup

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 27, 2022, 12:41:21 PMSorry I can't help you with cross referencing. If the bushes are the right sizes, then there's a good chance the seals for that model will also fit.

If you have success with them, it might help someone else to know  :thumbsup

I'm documenting every step of the way (parts wise) on the FB steamers page.  I was fortunate that someone had done the leg work in the Cagiva Gran Canyon universe and that the community is still more active than the steamers sites.

I will share all my knowledge everywhere I can for it is certain that the more seed spread the better chance of knowledge taking hold. Especially in the ether where all prior info can be lost, wiped or broken with just 1 click. If tried to glean as much as I can and I'm sorry I arrived after Mustang departed for we still may have had the index intact

ghulst

Welcome to the party! (Even though I am kind of late to post this...)

If there is enough interest, we can create a wiki thread or even wiki page where we can gather all that information.

Oh, and do post your progress here as well as to the FB group. For people looking for steamer info, this is much easier to find than in FB groups. Which hopefully helps creating a more active steamer community again.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

gcloys

Quote from: ghulst on June 27, 2022, 01:49:21 PMWelcome to the party! (Even though I am kind of late to post this...)

If there is enough interest, we can create a wiki thread or even wiki page where we can gather all that information.

Oh, and do post your progress here as well as to the FB group. For people looking for steamer info, this is much easier to find than in FB groups. Which hopefully helps creating a more active steamer community again.

I'm posting everywhere I can.  Already too much lost info with the index here broken, Mustang passing, waning interest by public and factory alike.  I love the fact that the new 900 Tiger is almost exactly the same specs as the 1st gen. 900 Tiger except not as much suspension travel and tuned slightly different with a suite of electronic machines that go "bing"

ghulst

If you see anything broken in the index, please PM me, so I can try to fix that. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011