News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine noise

Started by Boo, January 21, 2024, 09:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

2006 Tiger 955i. After a long trip through Europe I retuned with a slight rattling noise from the engine. It sounds very much like a tinkle tinkle sound that is possibly coming from the cam chain.
Now, being fluent in Meriden Triumph talk, these new fangled things are still a bit of a mystery to me. The question is, can I adjust the cam chain like you do on the early eighties Oriental bikes by slackening the lock nut on the adjuster and the cam chain adjuster then springs out to take up the tension followed by again locking up the lock nut.
 There is nothing I can find in the manual except when performing a complete rebuild.

Lee337

From memory, these engines have automatic cam chain tensioners (CCT) which can sometimes stick. You'd need to remove the CCT to reset it, but I don't know the proper procedure for this. Sprint Manufacturing do a replacement spring for a far more reasnable price than replacing the whole CCT. I've copied the fitting instructions below.

Original specification replacement cam chain tensioner spring. It is recommended that the spring is replaced if its length has reduced significantly below 73.7mm. This is a much more cost effective option than replacing the complete tensioner assembly. To change the spring, acces by removing the large central bolt. The tensioner does not have to be removed. Removing just the central bolt still allows the ratchet mechanism to retain the existing tension on the cam chain.

I hear some owners replace the CCT with a manual adjustment one, but again, I don't have experience in this.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.