News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni Needles

Started by Ajar77, June 29, 2022, 11:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajar77

Hi All,

New to the forum and got a question about the carb needles:

Anyone know how to identify the standard needles in the Mikuni carbs? The ones in mine have 6 position grooves for the circlip and no identifying marks.

I bought the bike a couple months ago, it's a 1996. A previous owner apparently rejetted it for some track only 'Viper' slip ons. I didn't like the noise or how the bike ran (rough under 3000rpm and fairly thirsty), so I've fitted a set of the stock exhausts, fitted a 40 pilot jet and 105 main and set the idle screw as per one of Mustang's old posts. It runs much better but I think there's room for more improvement, hence questioning if the needles have been changed too.

Thanks in advance!

Sin_Tiger

Off the top of my head, stock Mikuni needles only have 5 grooves (clipped in the middle one), so perhaps "Power Commander" or "Factory" needles have been fitted.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gcloys

If you are on facebook the T300, tiger 885 steamer. Girly and steamer page, may have some info.  Usually, depending on stage the needle won't change just the clip position

Ajar77

Hi Both,

Thanks for the replies.

I worked out that it looks like a dynojet kit had been fitted, as their needles have 6 slots and the idle screw had been set as per the dynojet instructions.

I've put the standard needles in, which has made improvement over 3000rpm and it's using less fuel too.
Still rough under 3k so next job is to check the slide vent holes as the dynojet instructions specified they should be drilled out, so I'll fill them and redrill to standard, then balance the carbs.

I don't suppose anyone knows what size/how many holes the slide vent holes are to save me buying a new one to compare?

Thanks

gcloys

Sin_Tiger

There should be two holes in the slide, can't remember the size off the top of my head, use the unblocked one as a guide.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Ajar77

Thanks for the photo SinTiger.

I ended up buying one on the basis I can return it if I don't fit it.

The slide holes are almost exactly 4mm in the new one. The ones in my bike had had inserts fitted to reduce the size, so I've drilled them back out to 4mm. Not sure if it's solved anything as I'm going to change the airbox too as that's been broken/repaired by a previous owner, and I can't be bothered to put it all back together until I have the airbox.

I'll report back once it's all back in one piece.

Sin_Tiger

While you've got it all apart, it's worth giving the carb to head rubbers a really good bending, they can look OK but actually be quite perished. Check they are fitted the right way around with the correct orientation, I've seen them mixed up by "mechanics" who should know better.

Geoff W

When I used to do my Steamer carb's the thing that made fitting and removal far easier was buying a new set of rubber mounts, so much more flexible than an old perished set, and not too expensive. For the saving in time and scraped knuckles well worth the money.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Madruss

Wow, wish I'd seen this exploded view of the inlet rubbers before refitting the carbies  :icon_eek:
I hope I've fitted them the right way around  :icon_confused:
Hopefully they are, as the carbies didn't stay inplace the first couple of times we fitted them.
They've held inplace so fingers crossed :icon_scratch:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!