News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Picos De Europa 2023

Started by TigerKing, July 24, 2022, 08:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerKing

Hi All,
Although there's much riding still to do this year I'm beginning to have one eye on next year as well.

I've always heard great things about the Picos mountains so am thinking seriously about making it happen.

I'm thinking probably need a minimum of a week including the day each end of that for the travel and ferry, so 4-5 days riding in the region and sometime in Q2 (2023) i.e. either April, May or June.

If anyone fancies this also please let me know, or if anyone has already done it and can offer some tips and advice please let me know that as well.

Thanks.

London_Phil

Currently looking at viability for this. Need to look at costs and dates etc, but interested non the less.

TigerKing

Hi Phil,
I haven't done much research yet but a quick review for sample dates April 16-24 of the ferry availability and costs broadly reveals :
- Return tickets seem to cost the same whether you go for 2 days, 5 days or 10.
- Two UK ports service this part of Spain (Santander, Bilbao).
- Leaving from Plymouth is about £200-250 cheaper than leaving from Portsmouth.
- Plymouth crossing also shorter by about 10 hours (Plymouth 22 and Portsmouth 33).
- Depart and return to Plymouth can be as little as £250.
- Depart and return Portsmouth can be up to £500.
Obviously these are prices as of today and with everything going on in the world may very well increase as time goes on.
Although Plymouth is a longer trip depending where you live in the UK, its a big time and financial saving over Portsmouth.

As you know accommodation, fuel (beer and food:) and petrol can be a fair bit cheaper in Spain than the UK.
Again a very quick review of hotels in Picos de Europa for the night Friday April 21 brought up literally dozens of hotels between the price range of £34-100 a night.

Anyway, hope all that helps a bit (helped me anyway:)!

mat-tiger1

:ear Keeping an eye/ear on this post!  :bad
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

blacktiger

Following.
I stayed in Posada de Valdeon some years back (1997/8ish!) which made for a fairly central position. Although, back then you could ride a track from the LE-2703 (at the Bear statue) to Fuente De which cut out a long way round. Closed to traffic now.
The only track open to traffic these days runs from Espinama to Sotres. I'm glad I rode all of them back then.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

TigerKing

So Gents, I'm currently thinking this:

The Ferry Portsmouth to Santander is 33 hrs but it lands you right on the doorstep.

Or, could escalate this adventure to another level by taking the 45 minute Eurotunnel to Calais and spending a day, two or three as part of the overall adventure and winding through France to the Picos.

Doing the same but a different route back home and whilst doing sufficient justice to the roads and experiences of the Picos could just be squeezed in to a 2 week trip.

Unless you had more time and then the game changes again.

I'm leaning toward the option of more riding and less sailing to be honest.

mat-tiger1

Quote from: London_Phil on July 25, 2022, 06:00:57 PMCurrently looking at viability for this. Need to look at costs and dates etc, but interested non the less.

Same here Tigerking, would be very nice but need to look at cost & timing.  :icon_frown:
Dates are more important for me as I have to schedule with work many months ahead. In fact I have just scheduled the ABR weekend in for next June!! :icon_eek:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.